2 1/4 Cat or 225 Cat questions

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago my dad used to talk about a two and a quarter Cat engine. A small V8 diesel engine. I recall seeing one in a car crusher once. He told me it was a engine based on the old gas 534 Ford that was modified with diesel heads and some other things.cookoo He swore by this old engine speaking highly of it for many years.

Well now since I have started to get into Diesels instead of screaming gasser engines, I no longer have his ear to bend as he passed away a few years ago.

I am curious if anyone here knows of this engine and if so what more can you tell me. I know it was around the size of the IDI it was not a huge engine by anymeans. Just different than the gassers I knew so well. 390 fords and such.

Well thats about all I can tell ya because the ole man is not here to tell me so please anyone.....let me know about it if ya'll can.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3208 was available in a number of configurations with HP ranges that included 225hp. I believe that one would be a turbocharged model. I never liked the fact that so many truck motors are just called by whatever HP they make. cookoo

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
I believe that the 3208 is what he is talking about or the 3160, (basicly early 3208) IIRC the 3208 ranges in hp from 175-220, 3208T 225-320, 3208TA 350-450. (the ratings above 250 are marine). And they can't keep head gaskets in them past 320hp.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK guys if what you say is true, how does the 3208 compare to the 6.9/7.3 in size and weight? What about bell housing size shape? What about Transmissions that can be used?

Thanks

BTW sorry to put this into this part of the forum....had no idea where to put it n lots of action is in here

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys if what you say is true, how does the 3208 compare to the 6.9/7.3 in size and weight? What about bell housing size shape? What about Transmissions that can be used?

Thanks

BTW sorry to put this into this part of the forum....had no idea where to put it n lots of action is in here

It's heavier and bigger than the IDI and displaces 10.2 liters IIRC, can't find the exact specs right now. They have been squeezed between the fenderwells on these trucks.

Bellhousing will usually be an SAE2 or SAE3 and you can bolt up about anything you want from an Allison automatic to an 18 speed to 5 speeds with 4 speed auxilary trannies.....pick one.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I often think about my father and how much I would like to have that ear to bend about different things. Now more than ever compiling parts for this conversion I think it would have been great to have him along and helping out.

Some times the best things in life are right in front of us and we don't even know it before it ends up being too late.

For now, I'll stick with the simplistic IDI conversion of the Bronco.....was just well.....thinking fondly of years gone by and had to ask bout that engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online