1999 SD engine question

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Hi 7.3 man here with a question, I have my personal truck my 1990 f350 IDI diesel and grandpa's 1999 f250 SD, both trucks run the same fuel supply, his truck has 93,000 miles, and well cared for, I been a farm mechanic and went to a very detailed mechanic class, I still work on the farm I been here for my whole life, the truck will run fine then it will buck and quit, grandpa seems to think water in the fuel, my truck it wont do it at all, mine has 95,000, but what would the differances be in the fuel system for idi and powerstroke tolerance wise? (I'm really ashamed of myself to ask for help but I all that matters is I did and there r people out there that r willing to help and not think bad of ya).

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you replaced the Cam Sensor IIRC in your other post.

My opinion is that even new parts can be junk. Just because it is new doesnt mean it is good, quality control these days is worthless.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO question on here is bad, it's the ones that are NOT asked. Never ever be ashamed to ask.

I don't think you have a fuel problem.

You have to designate wether it's a 99 or 99.5. The 99 has the fuel pump under the fuel filter, the 99.5 has the fuel pump mounted on the frame rail. They have different style fuel filter cans, much the same but a little diff.
If there is water in the fuel, the WIF, the "Water In Fuel" light will come on.
The CPS is the Cam Position Sensor, it's located on the pass side next to the damper pulley. Yes the Gray sensor can still go bad. Did it run OK for awhile after it was changes from Black to Gray?

Next question, is the SES light ON? "Service Engine Soon" If yes, then a code can be pulled, but that requires a special code scanner, an OBDll scanner cannot pull the codes.

The 94.5 to 2003 had a problem with the UVCH "Under Valve Cover Harness" partially disconnecting which will cause the symtoms your having, mostly on the drivers side. The truck will eventually stop and not start at all if that is the problem.

Another problem that could cause this is the IDM "Injector Driver Module" can get water in it, it is mounted under the fender plastic, guard drivers side.. The PCM is also there, but it is more or less waterproof.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fuel filter has never been changed, you should prolly change it. There are two different styles. One has a separate filter you can buy. The other has the filter and top together. If you have the filter separate from the top and get the other be sure and save the top, so when you get a separate filter later you can use it. Separate filters are cheaper.

If you change the filter, it would be a good idea to replace the fuel heater in it. The OEM heater can short out and blow #22 fuse a 30 Amp, if it blows, engine will crank but not start.

Replacement is available from an IH dealer around $26.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
No check enginer light fuel filter changed regular, I cant figure it out cause if it gets just the most tiny bit ow water it will quit, (what are the tollerances between the IDI and Powertstroke as far as fuel systems to let them handle water)?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep going back to this water issue.

Does the WIF light on the dash come on?

How are you determening there is water in the fuel filter, are you draining it with the drain valve on the filer bowl?

The diesel fuel is not taken off the bottom of the filter bowl, if your getting that much water in it, then you should drain the fuel tank, it must have a lot of water in it.

Attachments

• PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1
  • engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Im just trying to figure out and ask what r the tollerances on the powerstroke fuel system ve IDI for what they can handle, yeah the WIF light does come on, I'm gonna try draining the tank next. :) I am draining the filter tomarrow :)