1998 GMC Sierra 2500 Purchase

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate GM cars (my '01 Impala is a piece of junk--something new breaks every month, this month it is the Body Control Module for $350), but like the older body style trucks. My wife needs a truck, and I found a '98 Sierra 2500 with 109,000 miles on it for sale.

Truck has been wrecked--the driver rear-ended someone, but damage is reported as "Minor" according to the police report and I only found a dent in the bumper. Carfax says the truck was originally green but was repainted maroon. I'll look more closely when I see the truck tomorrow to see if I can find original green anywhere.

I am buying the truck because my wife can't take care of vehicles and needs something to pull a small gooseneck or bumper pull trailer. Previous owner pulled a 24' trailer with the truck. Engine seems to have plenty of power (it is a 350). Automatic transmission.

What is different on this truck versus a 1500? I know my wife's old 2000 model year Chevy 1500 was not adequate to pull her small horse trailer--the trailer steered the truck.

Will this be solved with the 2500? Does the 2500 have bigger brakes than the 1500?

What transmission does the 2500 have? Same as the half ton?

Anything I should look out for when I go back to make my final purchase decision tomorrow? Truck seemed fairly solid when I test drove it... rattles from the 3rd door, but otherwise compliant. Fast acceleration (8 second 0-60 with a 350!), fast STOPPING (a little pull to the left which I think is due to brakes needing adjustment), and no unusual noises such as I'd get from a truck with suspension trouble.

109,000 seems like low miles... we should get another 100k out of it, I think.

Only things I found was that the passenger side rearview mirror won't adjust using the controls (should be fixable) and that the switch controlling the interior dome light is missing on the driver's side dash (should be able to replace it, shouldn't I??)

Thanks for thoughts on this.

Mike

rubberfish

Reaction score
GM has two different models of the 2500.
One has a gvw of 7200lbs. The other is 8600lbs.
7200 has 6 bolt wheels and bigger brakes than a 1/2
ton, but not as big as the ones on the 8600lb truck.
They're known to wear front end parts regularly.
Don't ask me how I know that first hand.
The transmission on the 8600 will be bigger.
Get one with the 8 bolt wheels if ya can for towing.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has two different models of the 2500.
One has a gvw of 7200lbs. The other is 8600lbs.
7200 has 6 bolt wheels and bigger brakes than a 1/2
ton, but not as big as the ones on the 8600lb truck.
They're known to wear front end parts regularly.
Don't ask me how I know that first hand.
The transmission on the 8600 will be bigger.
Get one with the 8 bolt wheels if ya can for towing.

Thank you, Rubberfish. The truck has the 6-lug wheels, but will be adequate for my wife's needs. It's just a shade bigger than a half ton, stopped the load quickly when I was pulling her trailer on a test drive, and drinks gas just like a 350 V-8 should. :)

Should be a good truck for her. Thank you for your help getting some info on this.

Mike

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Those trucks are also bad for intake manifold gaskets leaking at the corners of the manifold.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Coolant leaking externally from the intake manifold area, or internal w/coolant in the oil. Hopefully somebody has already installed the new gaskets. Most likely w/over 100K

robert wyrick

Reaction score
The quick connect fitting from the heater hose to the intake. Its made of aluminum and breaks easily when removing. Be prepared!

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
What should I look for? Would a performance decrease be an indicator of this?

Mike

You will see coolant leaking from one of the 4 corners of the intake.
I have never seen any kind of a performance problem because the coolant leaks to the outside of the intake and not internally.
Added in edit: It is possible for it to leak internally but it is VERY rare that, that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online