1998 e350 psd

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm looking at this van, it has some starting problem, takes some crank to get it started. I'm thinking glow plugs since I doubt anything has changed in it since it came out of factory. The engine had no oil in it, no atf on the power steering. The guy mentioned it surges or maybe it shakes back and forward when going at speed so I thought it could be the tranny I believe it would be e4od or 4w100 (?).

How hard is it to R&R the glow plugs on one of this? I assume I need to remove the valve covers etc, but I have not done much on psd so any tips will help.

Thank you.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with the basics first, fluid and filter changes all around. The PSD doesnt like dirty oil as thats what fires the injectors and it likes a clean fuel filter and air filter.

GP's are pretty easy, but wil maybe be a bit more challenging on a Van due to engine compartment space. I dunno, I've never crawled under the hood of a van before so I cant say.

However, before you jump into the GP's, check the GPR. Its located in front of the fuel filter cannister on the right bank. You can jump it (its no more than a solenoid) with either a heavy screwdriver or a set of jumper cables. There are 4 terminals on the GPR, jump across the two big ones for 30-40 seconds and then crank it. See if you can get an easier start out of the old girl that way. If not, you can OHM out the GP's or..... just spend about a 100 bucks and change the GP's.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do you have part # for the filters? I have a filter1 equivalence manual so I can order them online.

Thank You.

I run it for about 5 minutes and then cranked again 15 minutes later and it would still take 10 seconds cranking.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Do you have part # for the filters? I have a filter1 equivalence manual so I can order them online.

Air filter
(Motorcraft) FA-1618 (Econoline)

Fuel filter
(Baldwin) PF7678
(International) 1822631C91
(Motorcraft) FD4595
(Racor) IN F4595

Exekiel69 said:
I run it for about 5 minutes and then cranked again 15 minutes later and it would still take 10 seconds cranking.

How does the exhaust look after this episode? White smoke or? Remember that the injectors need a minimum of 500 psi on the high pressure oil system to fire. So if you are cranking longer on warm startups (no white smoke) it might be a HPOP issue or even an injector issue. How many miles is on this van and do you have any idea of the maintenance history?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before you get yourself in too deep, call the stealership and get a quote for R&R'ing GP's. Make shure you tell them its a van. Be sitting down when you make this call.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You guys, I don't know what the heck is the HPOP I'm an IDI guy so please be educative :angel: . I have no maintenance history from this van, the engine oil level was still a the end of the tip of the dipstick after I added 4 qt of rotella, the oil filter was new and the guy said the change the oil at a shop (pepboys I think) and well I also think they drove the truck like this for some miles.
I know the psd has some sensor when the oil is low or no oil that will not let it start and that let Me think maybe wy it takes some cranking to start it?

The van has about 160k miles, also the power steering was leaking so I added some lucas power steering fluid, it worked great on mine so I guessed it would be alright on this one as well.

btw I used rotella 15-40W wich is what I had in my truck at the time, how many qt total do this van's take?

Thank You for the answers Guys. :thumbsup:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Thanks Joe.

Really really good reading on PSD's here---->CLICKY

I highly recommend reading this info for a better understanding of whats under the hood of a PSD.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
hey EZ one thing I've noticed is it just naturally takes a PSD longer to start due to having to pump oil to fire the injectors to get fuel to start I know my father inlaws 02 PSD my brothers 97 my buddys 96 and my 96 all take awhile longer to start then my IDI just the way they are you may want to actually time it and see how long it takes to start how long it feels and how long it actually takes could be a lot different

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
hey EZ one thing I've noticed is it just naturally takes a PSD longer to start due to having to pump oil to fire the injectors to get fuel to start I know my father inlaws 02 PSD my brothers 97 my buddys 96 and my 96 all take awhile longer to start then my IDI just the way they are you may want to actually time it and see how long it takes to start how long it feels and how long it actually takes could be a lot different

My '96 fires almost instantly, every time. Might have to do with me keeping on top of the maintenance. ;Really

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is an extremely fast starter as well. I did notice that EZ said this thing was 4 qts low on earl... :eek:....that'll play a factor in things I think. ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I didn't time it but it was about 7-10 sec. I added 4qt to it and it was still low so that was what make Me think it had something to do with the oil level (I know this engines use a different IP) but I wanted to ask just in case.

My truck will allways start instantly or close to it, this one felt too long.

I'll see the truck agin this weekend so I'll see what's up with it by them. Thank You all.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
wanderer said:
My '96 fires almost instantly, every time. Might have to do with me keeping on top of the maintenance. ;Really
cookoo touchy touchy I've heard brand new PSD's start a lot slower then IDI's but relax powerstroke die hards I'm not trying to say the IDI is better or anything its just the difference between mechanical injection and the PSD's system :draw

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
You are in a dark, strange, new territory Zeik :D
we can get you thru this....hell, they got me thru my circus LOL

Oil level has to be up... not 4+ qts down.....these take all but 4 gallons for an oil change and there may be some UVC harness issues{under valve cover}.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online