1997 E40D 4x4 Refreshment

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again friends,
I've looked around the inter webs and I can't find the right information for what I'm looking for. I have a 1997 F-250HD 4x4 E40D transmission. I get very harsh shifts 1-2, weird shifting, and it takes a little for reverse to engage. I recently replaced my fluid with Valvoline Synthetic ATF, and added some LubeGaurd Transmisson additive. I was wondering what else I can do to my transmission to ease my issues as much as possible before I have to get a rebuild. I hear sensors and bad wiring harnesses are a big factor in these trannys acting catywampus.
What parts can/should I replace, without having to drop the transmission? Any sensors, valve body, maybe Solenoid Pack? And if they don't work, I'll start looking into a nice rebuild.
Plus what are some good aftermarket parts for this transmission? For one I've heard of a Punisher Valve body but I can't find one for sale.
Love your guyses help
Thank you

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
OD OFF light flashing if so scan it. Don't start changing parts before you scan it.

Delayed reverse is common with the E4OD. Low boost pressure, sticking boost valve, or warn frictions can cause this issue.

When you changed the fluid. What did you find in the pan?? A fuzzy magnet would be normal. Lots of black chunks would be clutch material. Brass or other shiny metal particles means the tranny is almost shot.

A warn 1-2 shift valve or broken springs in the accumulator body can cause harsh shifts.

There are quite a few good parts for this tranny. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Basics would be a good shift kit. Sonnax Sure Cure or TransGo Tugger are both good kits. A bigger cooler will help too. True Cool by Long or a 6.oh cooler are a big help.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pan was pretty clean. The magnet was a pretty fuzzy but that was it. No chunks and nothing shiny. I was looking at the Tru Cool cooler. And have heard a lot about the transgo kit. Some people said the problem with the transgo kit is that it's a lot of work for little return. But that's just what I heard. No OD light blinking

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what type of exhaust do you have?

i can hear you now, "*** does the exhaust have to do with it?"

if you have an aftermarket exhaust system with a coupler by the trans,

exhaust leak can occur

this happened on my 01 with a 4R100, and cooked the wiring harness, which a E4OD has in the same location.

after scanning, replacing coil packs, scanning, dropping valve body, scanning, going nucking futs.

i tracked it down to a melted pig tail,

luckily it was the jumper harness for a DB exhaust brake system.
deleted the exhaust brake, and it was golden.

i added an aluminum heat sheild and never had an issue since
right up to where i blew a head gasket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online