1996 6.5 dead..??

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My name is Chris, I usually hang out in the 6.9/7.3 IDI forum, but I have a friend with a problem.

He owns a 1996 6.5 GM truck (not sure if its 1500, 2500 or 3500, or if that even matters). The truck ran great, with the odd sputtering and whatnot. Then recently, it was going through a spat where it would just die. SOmetimes it would start right up, other times he would call his boss to come tow it with his towtruck.

A couple of people that we know (not members here) told him that it was the black box on the IP.

As of right now the truck will not start.

Any thoughts? Where is the best place to get one of these controllers? Anyone got one for sale that I can mention to him?

Thanks a lot for the info, hopefully with what I learn here we can get this truck functional and mobile again!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
10 4. I have heard that this was the weak link in a 6.5 engine, but I have never even opened the hood of a 6.5 diesel.

I will be sure to let Joey know tomorrow. I will print that article off and take it to him. Thanks again.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no problem. another thing to think about is after you fix the weak link go ahead and get a good exhaust on it and let that thing breath. seems to me the 6.5 loves to have a good exhaust. a 3.5" is fine. mine really woke up when i did this more then other trucks ive had. maybe thats just because the stock set up is so crappy. if you dont believe me take a look at the down pipe.