1994 IDI Turbo, like new

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day all. Awhile back I posted this thread about a truck I found on ebay:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44967

That didn't work out unfortunately, but I recently won this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0861797360&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I hadn't really planned on seriously bidding, but I submit an offer of $6300 and seller accepted. I live down in the Caribbean, the US ****** Islands, so I don't have the luxury of shopping around the US for those IDI gems. I am impressed how many OBS fords are still on the roads here but finding a diesel, manual transmission with 4 x 4 is impossible, let alone one in this condition. Some will say that the price is too high for this old truck. However, I see a garage kept, like new truck, with less than half of its life spent. The owner is a nice guy and he bought it off his uncle who used it once and awhile and kept it well maintained.

My plans for the truck once it makes its way over land and sea to its destination are to start up a part time hauling/tree trimming/handyman service. There will be many camping outings and trips to the beach with the wife and kid with all the watersports gear: surfboards, kiteboards, spearguns, etc. I also want to start dumpster diving because you would be amazed at what the rich folk throw in the dumpsters here. Lastly, I plan on doing some WMO collection, and setting up a filtering/centrifuge skid.

The modifications I have planned for the rig are in order of priority:
- Tint windows
- Install a plastic bedliner or spray in the the U-Pol Raptor liner myself
- Swap out the bench seat for buckets depending on what I can salvage on island. Perhaps I will end up liking the bench seat though. Its more so that my kid can have a good view when sitting in his carseat in the back and give him some more leg room. He's only one now so I have time for that.
- Get the stock exhaust out and install a 3 or 4" pipe
- Install ram or cowl air induction intake
- Remove stock downpipe and install the ATS downpipe if I can find one. If not, make my own.
- Swap the Dana 50 for a Dana 60 if I can locate one on island
- Install the SKY RSK kit while swapping axles and put in the Superduty springs
- POR-15 the under carriage to prevent salt air from destroying this beautiful rig

This IDI is exactly what I have been looking for. The only things I wish the truck had are: buckets instead of bench seat, sliding rear window, and the cab lights because they look bada$$.

I am not a diesel expert or mechanic by any means. But I work in the water industry and tear apart pumps and motors all the time, diagnose electrical problems, etc. So I feel like I am very mechanically inclined but not in diesel engines. The IDI attracted me because from what I have read, they are easy to work on, replacement parts are cheaper than those on the powerstrokes, and they will outlast most gas rigs. So, hopefully I won't have any issues in the near future but I am hoping all the helpful people on here will be able to guide me through any repairs I might need to do when they arise. I have a pretty good set of tools at work and there is a NAPA here which I believe rents tools.

The point of this thread is to join the community on here. I am pretty sure that there are no ****** Island members on here, so a Caribbean IDI will be a pretty cool addition. If anyone is thinking about traveling to the Caribbean, come to St. Croix and I would be happy to give you a tour in the IDI. I can even offer you a place to stay.

I'll be sure to update this thread with pictures once the truck arrives and as I begin my modifications. Any input regarding this truck, the modification plans I listed, or general advice is greatly appreciated. I really want to become well versed in diesel engines and this will be my first step in that direction.

Cheers, Aloha, and Irie Vibes from the Caribbean

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to OB! I think you may very well be the only member we've got down there.

Better be careful with the free place to stay offer, I know my wife's been wanting to see the virgins for a while! :D

You've got a nice truck there, congrats! Your plans for it sound great too, keep us posted on the progress!!! ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Remove stock downpipe and install the ATS downpipe if I can find one. If not, make my own.

make your own.that truck is CLEAN for 100,000 miles ;Sweet .dont go ruining it with that junk from ats.id love to punch the owner of ats in the mouth for even thinking about making that hacked pile of **** they sell for these trucks.800 dollars of my money wasted on a mess that i coulda made myself if i wanted leaks every where and parts that dont fit.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Welcome to the Brotherhood of OB. ;Sweet

Instead of the Ram or Cowl, I would do a cold air intake, maybe make a search for Moose Air and see what you think. If that doesn't suit your fancy, search for any other thing and I'm pretty sure someone has tried it or is in the process of trying it. I know alot of people who are really impressed with the Hypermax Cowl Induction kit.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of me. :)

Thats a nice IDI you got there. And welcome!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well bought id say.very nice and clean with low miles.
it takes a lot of $ to bring 'em up like that,so you did good.

1994 F250 PICKUP SUPER CAB 4X4
Built: October 19, 1993
Paint Code: XD
Tutone Paint: YY
Trim Code: GK
Gross Weight: 8,800lbs

Original options on this vehicle

28,962 vehicles matching your year and description in our database.
Code Description
EGAMD 4.10
TR0RK 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420
EJAJF 6250 LB(2834 KG) REAR AXLE ASY
EM0H0 ALTITUDE REQUIREMENTS
JCBAB AMBIENT LIGHTING
BLDAB CHROME-PLATED
AAMAB CONVENIENCE GROUP
EJ1AB DECAL-4X4 PICKUP BOX
IBAAG ELECT AM/FM/STEREO/CASSETTE/CLOCK
EGLAB FORD/VISTEON AXLE VENDOR
CLVAB FRT LICENSE PLATE BRKT/HOLDER
DEBAF IMMERSION HEATER-ENGINE
AAGAJ KANSAS CITY PLANT BUILD
BMLAE LOWER B/S MLDG
D3JUC LT235/85R-16E BSW A-S TYRES
FMLAB MAN TRANSFER CASE AND MAN HUBS
AC0B0 MANUAL AIR CONDITIONER
EGJAB NON-LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE
F2THD NOT DEFINED
ABKAB POWER EQUIPMENT GROUP
CLMAE REAR BUMPER-STEEL STEP-CHROMED
BWDAB SEAT MATERIAL-REAR CLOTH
FMNAB SKID PLATES
GTDAB SPEED CONTROL
HGAAB TACHOMETER
GRAAC TILT STEERING WHEEL
C1CAE TRAILER TOW HEAVY DUTY
PNCXB TUSCON BRONZE
PNYW1 WHITE
GBCAB WITH AUXILIARY FUEL TANK
CJDAB WITH BODY TU-TONE PAINT
DWCAB WITH HANDLING PACKAGE
B3HAB WITH MANUAL OPEN REAR WINDOW (FLIP)
BHEAB WITH NOISE INSULATION PACK
B3AAB WITH RH 2ND ROW FLIP OPEN WINDOW
B3CAB WITH RH 3RD ROW FIXED WINDOW
D5AAH WITH SPORT WHEEL COVER
DAAAD WITH SUPER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
AALAA WITHOUT SPECIAL EQUIPMENT PACKAGE
AAAAD XLT VERSION

ckirby

Reaction score
Thats a very nice truck periode! Great buy. Im happy for you that you found that truck. Sucks that you live so far away. Funny thing is that I was showing my wife that truck and saw that the seller lives in Yuba City Ca. And so do I. I sortve laughed at that. But cograts anyways. Good luck with the truck.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good looking truck! For you're downpipe another option would be to call Banks. Theirs bolts directly up to the factory turbo outlet instead of having to buy the expensive upgraded outlet from ATS for their downpipe to work. I called Banks and ordered on of theirs today and it was $125 shipped. The guy I talked to said they still have a few left. It is a 2 3/4 inch instead of a 3 inch but I doubt that 1/4 inch will make much of a difference.

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm taking notes, gonna call Banks today and see about a downpipe. Truck should be getting picked up next week and then begins its journey. Should take a few weeks altogether. I'll definitely be posting some pics when she gets here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle