Should I buy this truck?

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have been looking at buying a ford diesel for awhile now. I have been looking at 7.3L PSD's mostly. Now I have been intrigued by this 1994 IDI I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...p5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ39415QQitemZ170580344453
The reason I want a diesel is not for towing but for longevity and the ability to run alternative fuels. I live in the ****** Islands and a lot of vegetable oil and motor oil gets wasted here. I am partial to having a manual and 4x4 which this truck has. I haven't contacted the owner yet, but going by the mileage and the pictures, it looks to be well taken care of. Can anyone chime in here and tell me if this looks like a good truck for the buy it now price? I will be calling the owner here shortly and I will post what I learn. Thanks for any input.

Fixed link

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a great truck. If it is as good as it looks in the pictures I don't thing the price is too far out of line. It would be a premium price, but it appears to be a premium truck.
I would take an idi over a psd anyday if the priority is alternative fuels. The idi has an injection system that is more forgiving of fuel inconsistencies.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lien Reported

01/06/2010 IOWA CITY, IA
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:52AB62820)(Lien Reported)
REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

Loan/Lien Vehicle Use and EventCheck A loan/lien is the legal right to take and hold or sell the vehicle of a debtor as security or payment for a debt. Normally, a vehicle will have a lien due to a loan or unpaid repair bill against the vehicle. Check with the seller to ensure that the lien has been satisfied.

Your VIN number: 1FTHX26K5RKA09491
World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions:
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company, USA
Make: Ford
Vehicle Type: Truck (Completed Vehicle)
Brake Type and GVWR Class - 4th Position:
Brake System: • Hydraulic brake system, Class G, GVWR 8,501-9,000 pounds, None
Line Series, Chassis Type, Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions:
Line Series: F-Series - F250
Chassis Type: 4x4
Body Type: Super Cab
Engine Type - 8th Position:
Engine: 7.3(445cid) IDI-Turbo
Cylinders: V-8
Fuel Type: Diesel
Horse Power: TBD
Model Year - 10th Position:
Model Year: 1994
Assembly Plant - 11th Position:
Assembly Plant: Kansas City; Claycomo, Missouri
Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th:
Sequence Number: A09491

fyi:
i see an axle code of 35 i think.
35 = open diff 3.55 ratio.
8th digit in the vin "K" indicates factory turbo like shown above.
my opinion;
this ain't no old rusted out 2wd,"beater with a heater" n/a truck.
its a nice looking solid looking 4wd super cab,stick shift(zf5).3:55 geared,HD f250 7.3l XLT trimmed truck,with a factory turbo.with low miles to boot,living out in rust free scottsdale, AZ.
she's priced accordingly imho.
minus the manual trans(personal preference only) id buy it if the title is clean and looking for a used diesel 4x4.she'd be on my ebay watch list as i looked around,that's for sure.
this rust free truck could take a guy down the road for 15-20 more years with proper maintenance.

ask the seller about SCA's.

Last edited:

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
That'd be a heck of a haul from AZ to the ****** Islands, eh? I'd be leery about an AZ truck with an Iowa lien on it though.

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I talked with the owner and it sounds like there is indeed a lien because he had to take out a loan to buy the truck about 1 year ago. After the sale goes through, he would pay the bank what he owes, then the lien would be released. As far as the truck, he has only owned for 1 year and bought it off ebay originally. Since he hasn't had it too long, its tough to find out about previous maintenance history.
According to him, the truck has no leaks, front end is tight, starts right up, drives straight and is clean inside and out. I guess the clear coat on the hood is starting to fade.
Getting the truck from AZ to VI would be about 2,000 all said and done. This is the toughest part for me to get over. I don't mind spending a little more than blue book to buy a well maintained, low mileage diesel truck. But spending an extra 2,000 to get it down here is a tough decision. No matter what truck I buy though, it will cost at least 1,00o to get it from miami to the VI. Trucks like this one do not exist down here. Used full size trucks can't be had for less than 10,000. So I'm still undecided but leaning more towards the direction of buying this one. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tough call. On one hand, it looks clean, and with 124k, you should get a lot more service out of it. If in fact it's in great shape, it might be worth the 6400 BIN price. On the other hand, unknown seller with 0 feedback, potential lien headaches, and no service history are pretty big strikes in my book. Were I in that position, I'd pour a bourbon, have a cry (it does look like a sweet truck), and move on.

TangTonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do appreciate all the input. I talked with the owner and he sounds like a nice, respectable fella. But maybe I will just wait until the end of the auction. It will give me more time to mull it over and perhaps save some money too.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I have never bought anything from anyone with 0 feedback and don't plan to anytime soon. To big of a risk in my opinion. Does look like a nice truck but there's scanners out there everyday trying to rip an honest person off.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I do appreciate all the input. I talked with the owner and he sounds like a nice, respectable fella. But maybe I will just wait until the end of the auction. It will give me more time to mull it over and perhaps save some money too.

Maybe someone one here that lives near him can go look at the truck and see if he is legit or not. LOSTS OF SCAMS ON EBAY AND CRAIGS LIST

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the lien, "owning it for a year", and him claiming of buying it off of ebay but having 0 feedback... too many redlights for me ;Really.

Especially since he isn't explicit on ebay about the lien... maybe someone should call him up and see if he brings it up himself over the phone at least:confused:

I'd set up some sort of protection because he might claim to use the sale money to pain the lien, but then not pay it and screw ya over.

could be wrong though. His number is all over the tenderbelly stuff - pig farming i guess

www.tenderbelly.com

http://ja-jp.facebook.com/pages/Tender-Belly/126655870685431?v=wall&viewas=0#

;Really