How should this function? fuel filter head.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last summer I've been very busy with my fuel system, in order to get my truck running, cause: Bacteria or Algea.

back then I noticed the brass piece by the green flash, I thought is was blocked, and didn't understood it's function at the time, I poked a rod through it to "deblock" it........

In the end, the manufacturer had a goal with it, and I broke that piece :-(

As you can see in the Image, my solution, and it works. The truck runs fine.

I'm not completely happy with it, I prefere to have it OEM.
And in big, I understand what it does, In detail, not so.
anyone mind to explain what this "ducks beak" or one way valve precisely does, and if I should be better off (or not?) to repair it to OEM?

Other than that, My truck passed the inspection, and the Inspector even was very much surprised when he saw the "pollution" levels in the TUV datasheet for this engine, and what the results were which he measured, He had a hard time believing that for such a old truck these values were so "modern" (Clean).

Attachments

• modified.jpg
    modified.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 20

Black dawg

Reaction score
It is just a way for air to get out of the filter housing. Some had a check ball and spring, and others had some kind of rubber piece in there to restrict, or maybe cause one way flow.

It is fine if you made it flow freely, if you dont have drain back issues I wouldnt worry about it. Just hook the hose back up and see how it does.

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 = most had a springee thing & ball --- got rid of it years ago -- put a plug & a plug in the return hose -- Classic diesel design return kit deletes that port

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I deleted mine. I just plugged the hose and put a pipe plug in the filter head. You can hook it back up if you want to but if your return lines leak that will pull air in. With that plugged you wont suck air if your return lines leak, but you'll have to work a little harder to bleed air after a fuel filter change. You'll just need someone to hold the bleeder valve open while you crank after a filter change is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86