1994 7.3 1/4 tank fuel issue

dhd76

Reaction score
I am new here, but I appreciate all the info that flows from some of you long-timers.

I have recently acquired a 1994 F350 Crew Cab with 7.3 idi. Both fuel tanks begin sucking air at a little under 1/4 tank. I read here that this is a problem with the fuel pickups in the tanks. If possible I'd like to get the parts from Ford and fix this, unfortunately I don't see these parts in the Ford parts sites that I have visited. Does anyone know the part numbers of these fuel pickups? I have read some of the work-around's here and will do it that way if the parts are not available.

Thanks,

David

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I haven't had my hands on this fix yet but will be doing it this spring. I plan to yank the bed off to access the tanks and use diesel rated line to replace the "shower head" that disintegrates and falls off. My front tank sucks air with 75 miles of fuel left in it. Gets pretty frustrating when you KNOW that there are more miles left in the tank.

I will use diesel rated line to extend the sump to the bottom of the tank like most here do. I am a huge fan of sucking the water/dirt/debris OUT of the tank and into the filter instead of letting a 1/4 tank of who knows what collect, get worse, and rot the tank from the inside out.

dhd76

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I am starting to think that I will have to do the same kind of fix, these "showerhead" screens don't seem to exist in any of the parts lists that I have been able to dig up.
David

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these "showerhead" screens don't seem to exist in any of the parts lists that I have been able to dig up.

Most on here (me included) who have dealt with the problem run the diesel rated fuel line fix. The shower heads are not needed as long as you do the inverted v cut in the line to avoid the end of the line getting against the tank and blocking it.

Fairly simple fix. It took longer to get the tanks down and the sending units out than to actually do the fix.

dhd76

Reaction score
Sounds like that is what I will do as well. I have learned to carry an auxiliary fuel tank... A 5 gallon jug of fuel with me at all times, the "run out of fuel" level seems to vary a bit - and I hate pushing a truck.
Thanks to all,
David

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The repair for the running out of fuel at a 1/4 tank is simple. Remove the sender. Add about 3 or 4 inches of 3/8 fuel rated hose to the suction puckup and your done.... Now getting at the front tank sender is easy. No reason to drop that tank. Just reach up. Remove the lines and electrical.. Thats explained too. Then use a punch, screwdriver or shiesel to knock loose the sender holding ring and lift out the sender. Caution about the square rubber o ring seal and the locating pin in the tank. The pin it there so the sender can only be installed one way because of the electrical and lines for furel. The rear tank is much more envolved. Either drop that tank or lift off the bed. If you drop the tank please cut loose the fuel lines as they run across the frame rail. Then you can drop the tank enough to reach in and remove the electrical and the lines. Otherwise its too tight and you will damage the sender dropping the tank will all the stuff connected to it. Been there and done that. I broke loose the supply line where its soldered to the top of the sender. It olny leaked when the tank was full. Silver soldered it and alls well.

dhd76

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I appreciate the detailed instructions. I used to be a pretty good wrench before the "computer age" - I am enjoying having a truck that I can work on!
David

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Knowing me, and how much I hate dropping tanks, I would cut an access hole to the sender.
Kinda like a gooseneck trap door on a flatbed.
Some cars are like that, pull the rear seat bottom, and wallah fuel sending unit access cover.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also would recommend the hose mod or some other worthy alternative. As others have stated, the plastic showerheads will either fall off into the bottom of the tank, or simply distintegrate into a million tiny bits of plastic. The bits of plastic can travel up the fuel line and find their way into your tank switching valve. Ask me how I know! If you put in new Ford showerheads, you amost certainly will have to replace them again sometime in the future.

dhd76

Reaction score
Good point,
I made many a mile in an Air Force (Blue) Dodge Power Wagon in the early 70's - I am glad to know at some point they bought some better-powered trucks. Those little 225 cid slant-sixes were a little tough to coax up a hill.
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online