1993 8th digit M with turbo Canada made

Jbone36

Reaction score
Hey all back at the project finally buying a motor this week. 7.3 or 12v 5.9 but i had a question that will hopefully help me make the choice. Truck is 93 f450 vinnny 2FDLF47MXPCA0877 decoder days no turbo but there was a turbo. Also what years will fit this and whats up with the old engine being serpentine? just trying to get the right reman or low mile. Or do the swap. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone added the ATS 093 or factory turbo system to the truck. How about some wider shots so we can see the whole thing. That would help determine what you’ve got. Also scrub the block surface just to the drivers side and rear of the injector pump gear cover to get the engine serial number. That will tell you if the whole engine has been swapped or if it’s still a N/A block.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Any Ford (IHC) IDI engine will fit. From a 1983 6.9 up the the last 94.5 7.3 Factory Turbo. Externally, these engines will all interchange. You can also swap accessories between any two of these engines.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Looks like someone added the ATS 093 or factory turbo system to the truck. How about some wider shots so we can see the whole thing. That would help determine what you’ve got. Also scrub the block surface just to the drivers side and rear of the injector pump gear cover to get the engine serial number. That will tell you if the whole engine has been swapped or if it’s still a N/A block.

Thanks for the info..the reason for the close shot is is I didn't want anyone to get confused with the motor that i started putting in the truck a"6.9 IDI" I put the turbo that was in the back when i bought it as well as injector pump that was on the previous motor that i do not have and never have seen. 'Ive decided agsinst using the 6.9 due to its age as well as the truck being 14,500 or more lbs. Still curious to know the date on the 6.9 to maybe put it in the truck I get for donor tomorrow so Im going to check around for those numbers. Thanks again

Last edited:

Jbone36

Reaction score
Any Ford (IHC) IDI engine will fit. From a 1983 6.9 up the the last 94.5 7.3 Factory Turbo. Externally, these engines will all interchange. You can also swap accessories between any two of these engines.
I have found a couple of donor trucks but im paranoid they might not work from the year or pcm or whatever like this one
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/valencia-1995-ford-350-super-duty-73/7247053101.html
So lets say i get an 89 or 90 donor truck should everything be plug and play?
And what's the determining way to tell if a factory yurbo wont work?..or is it all turbos or just powerstroke?.sorry..im a little confused as to why because i thought you could just add a turbo to a 7.3 and go

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What vehicle are you swapping the engine into? The link you posted is for a Powerstroke which is not a plug 'n' play swap. Yes you can just add a turbo to a 7.3 IDI, factory or aftermarket. Depending on budget there are plenty of turbo options.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
MtnHaul's right. The listing for the 1995 is a little confusing, but it's most certainly a Power Stroke. It is a FSuper Duty, but they were actaully a F450, not a F350. The FSuperdutys are a heavier and heavier rated vehicle than a F350 is. The PSD and the IDI aren't directly interchangeable.
Don't get confused between the 7.3 IDI and the 7.3 PSD. These days, A LOT of people think that they're the same thing since the displacements are the same. They're not. They're completely different engines.
The engines from a 89 or 90 (like you mentioned) will work just fine. The accessories will be different between that and your 1993 so you'll have to use all of the accessories and mounting brackets from your 1993 on the donor engine. A turbo is basically an aftermarket accessory so yours will fit on any 6.9 or 7.3 IDI out there. Any turbo of any type made for an IDI engine will fit onto any IDI engine. The differences are that the earlier model ones from Banks ans ATS are transmission specific. They are made either for manual or automatic transmissions and (I believe) won't work with the wrong type of transmissions. A turbo for a truck application won't fit into a van, a van application turbo will not be a direct bolt in for a truck either.

Jbone36

Reaction score
What vehicle are you swapping the engine into? The link you posted is for a Powerstroke which is not a plug 'n' play swap. Yes you can just add a turbo to a 7.3 IDI, factory or aftermarket. Depending on budget there are plenty of turbo options.
Thanks figured that would be the verdict..its the project ive been trying to do for years 1993 f450 4x4 Ambulance just sold my 99 so im all in.. will this work? https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/los-angeles-1988-ford-250-super-duty/7240333376.html
Would this work to do the

Jbone36

Reaction score
Follow this link to find the “coffee table books” for the turbo IDI and the powerstroke. Download them and read through them to get a good handle on the differences and production breaks for each. That will make your truck searching more productive for what you want.

https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/coffeetablebooks.html/

Thanks ill read up.. a couple people have told me to put a 95 to 99 in it and swap out all the wiring gauges etc..what is the consensus on that?..lots more options for used trucks and motors but im a bit leary on the transmission working. Although i might shoot for a Zf5 and kust go all in. What would yall do?.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a complete donor of the same body style it’s a lot of work but can be done. Powerstroke Dash harness and engine bay harnesses are completely different than IDI and need to be used for each. Trying to go ‘99 or newer in yours is just that much bigger a project. Anything can be done with the appropriate amount of effort.

Jbone36

Reaction score
it’s a lot of work but can be done
So all the wiring comes out and gets replaced..doable..i don't have a problem with it. But soneone said i jave to rrplace the dashboard..even so im thinking more about sensors and stuff transmission etc. Tell me im wrong to think but is it less intense to put in a 12v Cummins with adapter plate and motor mounts? I mean for the work to work ratio anyway

Jbone36

Reaction score
MtnHaul's right. The listing for the 1995 is a little confusing, but it's most certainly a Power Stroke. It is a FSuper Duty, but they were actaully a F450, not a F350. The FSuperdutys are a heavier and heavier rated vehicle than a F350 is. The PSD and the IDI aren't directly interchangeable.
Don't get confused between the 7.3 IDI and the 7.3 PSD. These days, A LOT of people think that they're the same thing since the displacements are the same. They're not. They're completely different engines.
The engines from a 89 or 90 (like you mentioned) will work just fine. The accessories will be different between that and your 1993 so you'll have to use all of the accessories and mounting brackets from your 1993 on the donor engine. A turbo is basically an aftermarket accessory so yours will fit on any 6.9 or 7.3 IDI out there. Any turbo of any type made for an IDI engine will fit onto any IDI engine. The differences are that the earlier model ones from Banks ans ATS are transmission specific. They are made either for manual or automatic transmissions and (I believe) won't work with the wrong type of transmissions. A turbo for a truck application won't fit into a van, a van application turbo will not be a direct bolt in for a truck either.

So will an e350 engine go in or do o have to swap out the manifold etc? Im about to just get a reman but these are grabbing my attention https://www.ebay.com/itm/313279927667

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know what's really involved in a Cummins swap, but I can say that swapping in another IDI engine is the least amount of work involved. That link you posted is another example of people who don't know what they really have or trying to make it sound more impressive. Again, there was no such thing as a 1988 F250 Super Duty. Sure, the filler panel may have been replaced, but the one in the pictures does say "EFI". It's sure worth looking at though. A bonus is that it has/should have a ZF5 in it. If you want to do the swap, it goes in your favor, but you'll still have to buy the pedal set up for your OBS body style truck. For that, you can use the pedals from any truck with the same front end as yours has.
As for the Powerstroke working with your transmission, while it will bolt up, the flex plate (flywheel) and the electronics are different so that would take quite a bit of work too. You'd be better off using an automatic from behind a PSD in my opinion since it already has the updated internals. Yours may or may not have those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online