1991 Navistar "School Bus" Wheelchair Motorhome

eissug

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Navistar School Bus that has been converted into a wheelchair accessible motorhome. I'll give a little backstory for those who are interested...those not can skip over the section! ;Sweet

A retired military veteran drove the bus from PA to AK because he needed one with a working wheelchair lift. He spent 2 years working on the bus (2007-2009 I'm guessing based on expired registration). Right before he put finishing touches on it, he died of a heart attack. Cups were left in the sink, a broom in the corner, spare parts in boxes, silverware in the drawer, and blue masking tape holding drawers closed. I'm assuming he was going to put child safe locks on them later.

Do a web search for handicap accessible motorhome! There are no rentals anywhere except one place Canada, and even those are not "accessible" enough. Wheelchair motorhomes are available for sale by people who have bought one and converted them (paid a third party to modify). I've seen them as low as 30k and over 100k depending on how many mods and how big they are.

My dad's dad died in September and I wanted to figure out how to get him to Eureka CA for the funeral. Flying is the last thing he wants to do, so I searched for motorhome rentals out of desperation. I assumed that when we wanted one, one would be waiting us in Anchorage. When I found out there were none ANYWHERE, I was very sad. Just for fun I searched for "wheelchair motorhome" on craigslist and I found this bus! The advertisement was horrible, barely mentioning the wheelchair lift let alone accessibility! No pictures of the inside, and he didn't ever answer any of my e-mails! I visited the address listed in the craigslist ad and rattled the chain link fence, and was given a phone number!

I added up the cost of a bus, fridge, stove, toilet, etc and offered him about $1000 less than the main parts would cost, $7500, since there was remaining work to be done and we don't know what works and what doesn't. Bus has 28,000 miles!!! I later learned that the bus had been parked at a "Park-n-sell" for a year, and then parked at a "Store-n-Sell", although the storage guys didn't really want to sell it... : ) The like the 80/mo storage.

When I drove the bus home on the highway I never went past 55mph, and it took a LONG time to get there. 0-25 was fast, like a loaded pickup. 25-45 was slow, and 45-55 was barely happening. When there were just slight grades on the highway the bus would slow to 45-50.

Someone told me that the injectors on these old engines go bad from not being used. This bus sat for 2-3 years only being started maybe once or twice.

Other than replacing both filters, what should I do to make sure it is running as good as it can? It starts up quickly in the summer but barely in the winter.

I've uploaded two videos to youtube:
Starting in the summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EUq_Va01VQ

Glow plug sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TrcICt6BI

Whatever advice or suggestions that you guys can provide would be very much appreciated!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Needs a turbo. Lol
But replacing injectors and IP is a good start.
Replacing the glow plugs will help winter starting. Get the berus.
When you replace the full filter, fill it with atf or diesel klean, then run it for about 30 seconds and let it sit overnight.
Then drive it like you stole it.
55 mph may be about the top speed.
The buses and stuff had a lower redline. If/when you replace the pump, get one with the pickup governor.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The way the glow plug controller is acting it sounds like you have a few burnt out glow plugs. As mentioned replace with beru Ford/ International glow plugs.

The injection pumps in the International truck applications were governed at 2800 rpm or so. If you get an Injection pump from a Ford pickup it will be governed at 3300-3600 rpm. That alone will help with your top speed quite a bit.

These engine were significantly under powered for the medium duty International truck applications. A turbo would certainly help with the power and hill climbing problems. hypermax engineering does make a turbo kit specific for the International trucks. That's something you might want to look into if you plan on keeping this thing for awhile.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can help you with that problem. What's been said is true, and I've helped many S series chassis owners get their vehicles running like a modern pickup.

eissug

Reaction score
So if we were to define stages, would this make sense?

Stage 1: Replace both fuel filters and air filter
Stage 2: Replace fuel injectors
Stage 3: Turbo

At what point would we turn up the fuel pump until just a little black smoke shows? Never?

Where would the pump come in? After 2?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would do pump and injectors at the same time.
You will need to time it, so it's best to do both at once.
Far as turning the fuel up, long as you have a Pyro meter, you can turn it up, just watch the Temps.

eissug

Reaction score
The way the glow plug controller is acting it sounds like you have a few burnt out glow plugs. As mentioned replace with beru Ford/ International glow plugs.

The injection pumps in the International truck applications were governed at 2800 rpm or so. If you get an Injection pump from a Ford pickup it will be governed at 3300-3600 rpm. That alone will help with your top speed quite a bit.

These engine were significantly under powered for the medium duty International truck applications. A turbo would certainly help with the power and hill climbing problems. hypermax engineering does make a turbo kit specific for the International trucks. That's something you might want to look into if you plan on keeping this thing for awhile.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Thanks for the welcome!

How do I find a pickup pump that will fit in the place? Would a 1991 F350 7.3 have the same specs?

Also, I didn't realize that injection pumps needed to be replaced with injectors. From sitting and starting every 1-2 years and assuming that the mileage of 28k is correct, is it likely that replacing the injectors and pump will help? Maybe age is more important than miles?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seems as age and miles are equally important.
The guy in post 4 (agmem) can set you up with everything you need.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can help you with that problem. What's been said is true, and I've helped many S series chassis owners get their vehicles running like a modern pickup.
essing-
welcome to the site. although his statement is low-key, Agnem/Mel is your best resource in getting more out of your S-series IH. He's also the owner of Conestoga Diesel, a pump shop that builds pumps for our IDI motors. Since you're the only one driving this bus, a pickup spec'd pump will work. Pump and injectors are a critial part of getting basic power out of these motors. The next thing is a Hypermax turbo kit that is built specifically for the IH S-series chassis. That is evern more pricey than the pump and injectors but the logical "next step" after doing the fuel delivery system.
good luck.

ofourthreefive

Reaction score
I have an 84 idi and I did the glow plugs to a rocker switch and it was night and day. My did the same noise as yours.