1991 Engine Swap Electrical

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
So I put a 1989 7.3 into my 1991 that had a cavitated 7.3. Everything is 99% identical on these engines, only difference was the '89 was mated to a C6, so I swapped the FIPL over (that's another thread) and took off the kickdown rod.

NOW, plugged in all the wires and whenever I hook up a battery the fuel solenoid on the IP clicks and a relay/solenoid over by the brake reservoir on the driver side clicks on immediately. Regardless of key position or if the key is even in I have 3 lights on; the battery light, the engine light, and the Rear ABS. Clearly I've got a wire wrong somewhere or a short. Glow plugs are not cycling and I have no Wait to Start
You must be registered for see images attach
light in the cab. Starter works fine through.

I reused all the wiring that was on the front clip, only wiring from the '89 I used is the GP/engine harness. I swapped the GP controller off of the '91. The one on the '89 had all its wires cut for some reason so I mimicked how it was plugged into the '91. Both the '91 and '89 engine had a melted disconnect from the engine to front clip wiring, so that I thought was actually convenient that they were the same there too! (see picture)

What could I have done wrong? Stuff is getting power when everything is supposed to be off

Attachments

• IMG_20130831_131908_030.jpg
    IMG_20130831_131908_030.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 43

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unplug the connector on the ignition switch under the dash on top of the column. Does the ip still click? If so, you are getting voltage fed backwards, if I remember correctly this is a red/lightgreen wire. This wire goes several different places in the engine compartment as well as the ip. Start looking around and unplugging stuff that the red/lightgreen wire goes to till you get rid of the voltage.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I remember a red wire with a green tracer that I connected to the GP controller. Possible I got it on the wrong stud on the GP solenoid?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably going to be something like that, and it's backfeeding voltage onto the wire.