1986 f250 6.9 IDI wont crank.

Dnest79

Reaction score
how do i get to the harness? Do i need to take the steering wheel off? is there an easy way?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn’t see response. The neutral safety switch is under the truck on the driver side of the transmission where the selector lever is.

Dnest79

Reaction score
Neutral safety switch worked! i used two jumpers in the plug and it cranked!

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be 4 wires. You want to put the 2 red with blue stripe together. The other 2 would be for your reverse lights.

Dnest79

Reaction score
Hi, I got the new switch and installed it but It still doesn't work. I removed the bolts used to adjust and lock the thing down and rotated it outside the normal range and it would turn over but that is way outside the adjustment range for those bolts. Any ideas?

Dnest79

Reaction score
I tried that, it's out of range for the switch. If I get it to an area where it cranks it doesn't line up with the mounting holes. Neither the neutral position not the park position line up.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neutral Safety and Back-Up Switch Adjustment
1. With the manual linkage properly adjusted, loosen the two switch attaching bolts

2. Place the transmission manual lever in neutral. Rotate the switch and insert the gauge pin (#43 drill shank end) into the gauge pin holes of the switch. The gauge pin has to be inserted a full 31/64 inch into the 3 holes of the switch.

3. Tighten the 2 neutral start switch attaching bolts to 55-75 inch lbs. and remove the gauge pin from the switch.

4. Check the operation of the switch. The engine should only start in the neutral and park.

(This is the procedure straight out of the manual. I just use a finishing nail for the gauge, but if you have the number drill bit, great.)

Attached Images
You must be registered for see images attach

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your gear selector lining up with PRND21 on the column? When you set neutral safety switch do your reverse lights come on in R?

Last edited:

Sergey

Reaction score
I have a 1986 f250 6.9 IDI that wont crank. I turn the key and nothing happens except the engine temp light lights up and stays on as long as the key is turned and this happens every time I turn the key.
Sadly, I have got the exact same problem on my 1985 F250. Reported two weeks ago. But with T18 manual transmission.

Last edited: