1986 6.9 IDI leaking oil. HELP!

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Just bought a 6.9, while loading it, I noticed a small oil leak. Got it home, and unloaded it. Let it run for a couple minutes while adding oil. Shut it off, went and looked under it and hour later, and the puddle is BIGGER! What the heck? Looks like it's coming from the oul filter, but won't have a chance to check untill tomorrow. Outside of filter is soaked, is it most likely this?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! The only way to find an oil leak is to see it coming out. Sometimes that is ******* a dirty engine. Clean it up some and watch for new oil coming out.

These things tend to seep oil out of every pore, but shouldn't leave a puddle anywhere. Oil filter could be it, but the valve covers are just above it, and they are notorious for leaking.

Good luck!

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Will be home in an hour. Will tear into it then.....we'll see!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Might be an oil cooler bundle has been eaten thru by road salt or a simple as a loose oil filter. Cleaning off the suspect area is the best way to find the leak.

Last edited:

Diesel1050

Reaction score
What the heck! Not the oil filter....something is spraying oil down, from drivers side of the motor!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be the cooler to block gaskets or the header to bundle oil seal o rings or the actual cooler bundle has rusted thru. Nothing else back there under pressure. Might have mentioned the oil was spraying out in your first post too. Spraying is a much better differentiation of whats happening so we can collectively help you. No matter what it is I hope together we can help you find it. Hers hoping the seller did not "patch it to sell it"...

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the truck have a turbo? Some turbos get the oil feed from that side of the block. There are three 1/8 pipe thread plugs on that side that go to oil galleys. Unlikely leaking from a plug, but could be an oil feed line if you have a turbo.

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Might be the cooler to block gaskets or the header to bundle oil seal o rings or the actual cooler bundle has rusted thru. Nothing else back there under pressure. Might have mentioned the oil was spraying out in your first post too. Spraying is a much better differentiation of whats happening so we can collectively help you. No matter what it is I hope together we can help you find it. Hers hoping the seller did not "patch it to sell it"...
Wish I knew it was spraying out then. It was dark when I unloaed it so I didn't know that. No it doesn't have a turbo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change the valve cover gaskets. then check again

when the valve cover is off, inspect for bends, make sure the valve cover mating surface is flat.

Diesel1050

Reaction score
Well the F-ing cooler is junk! Here goes a $500 chunk outta my budget!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
$500 for a oil cooler I could buy a truck for that.
I'm sure a left coast(oops west coast I mean LOL has one they would sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin