1985 Ford f250 4x4 super cab 460

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the early 80's 460 powered trucks used a ******* fuel pump setup with electric fuel pumps in the tanks. That's how mine was, and probably this one too. Look on the passenger side front of the engine; if there isn't a fuel pump bolted to the timing cover, it has electric pumps in the tanks. When I swapped mine to diesel, I had an entire donor vehicle, so I just uses the tanks out of the diesel donor. The gasser tanks had a smaller bolt pattern where the pickups/sending units bolted in, so diesel ones won't bolt in. The issues people have with this system is in the wiring; the pumps won't turn on until an oil pressure switch is tripped in the engine. But the pumps themselves seem to last really well, and put out somewhere around 5psi, which would work well on a IDI.
So there's 2 ways you could go;
You can take the fuel pumps off, and just plug some fuel line in their place with some weight hanging off of the end of them. There is already a return line in this system.
Or, with some creative wiring, you could just use the tanks with the stock fuel pumps. I would be checking on availability of new fuel pumps before I used them, but this would be a nice setup.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy button A
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...2?counter=0&itemIdentifier=339625_74979_6138_

You must be registered for see images

Easy button B

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DPH0/HFP955.oap?keyword=fuel+lift+pump

Easy button C

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140366945154&viewitem=#vi-content

C is cheaper, A is what I run... mounted it right to frame rail 18-24" in front of tank.

1 year warranty. The Turtle Expedition people run Airtex, it took 3 to get one I could count one, could have been operator error, but unsure how, have done nothing different..

C is what my buddy uses in his 524TD (yep, Terbo dismal Bimmer)... seems to be cheaper, but if you have a problem, not as simple as walking into AZ and saying... "next....."

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah it is definatly a 460 with a t-19 for sure ive inspected it thouroughly it has a mechanical fuel pump no electric the truck is completely stock with stock exhaust the old man bought it new and was garage kept untill about 5 years ago he broke his back in a semi accident and his son parked it outside for idk what reason! but i will drop the tanks and modify the sending units and fuel lines if i have to which i will just in case. ill be looking for a new gauge cluster or would be willing to trade if anyone wants some 460 parts or need the engine because i have no use for a big block gasser i cant afford even looking at it although it would be fun to toy around with lol!!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
By chance you going to have an extra 80-86 bed? :D

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have one laying around but it belongs to my father lol its blue and silver two tone is rust free ill ask him if he would like to get rid of it lol

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I'm in indy and really need one. It would be great if he does.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in indy and really need one. It would be great if he does.

i just called him on it and he said that he really doesnt want to get rid of it but there is one at Coomers Auto Salvage in Crothersvile Indiana that has one spot in the bed not on the bed panels for 350$

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Might have a road trip. :D Thanks for the help. And that truck you found is nice

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have a road trip. :D Thanks for the help. And that truck you found is nice

no prob man! thanks ya only paid 1000 for it and poured fresh gas and it fired right up aired the tires up and drove her home 2 miles to my house ! :) if that coomers doesnt have that bed anymore let me know i got about 5 other places i might be able to find one