1984 DT-466 Problems? Power Mods?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1984 64 passenger school bus with a DT-466 and 177,000 miles.
Are there are any common issues with the older 466 motors? What kind of HP & TQ can I expect from a stock turned up pump? Can I get higher flow injectors from Hypermax for the rotary pump?

I found a bus within 250 miles of me and it looks like I can get it for under $1,000. I was holding out for a P pump DTA motor but the price for this one is right, and stock power is probably better than my hand grenade 7.3.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I found you, thanks spg.
The rotary pump isnt all that bad, really. It's going to be a dirty, smoky mess if you do injectors with it though. A turned up version of what you have would be aroud 230hp/500-550-ish for tq. Tractor pullers still use the rotary, so performance parts are still available. For more smoke control, you'd be better off getting the MW pump. The pump, gear, adaptor, fuel lines, and injectors, and it's there. A used MWpump is $300 at bone yards around here. You're money ahead with the purchase price now, and a bus with a P-pumped 466 goes for around $3500. There's also adaptors to put a P-pump on the older ones. check out pulloff.com for used 466 performance parts. Ditch the stock turbo if you plan on doing injectors, it's way too small to keep up with just a turned up pump. Hypermax, Columbus, or Diesel Perf. Solutions all can do injectors.
Common issue? keep the water temp cool(220 or less), so you dont melt the liner Orings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online