1983 over 8500lbs brake booster with dual piston. Does it even exist?

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having trouble trying to track down a power brake booster for an 83 over 8500lbs with dual pistons. Pulling my hair out!!:mad: Tried Cardone. Rockauto and all the usuall local stores. Does it even exist now?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between an 83 and the later trucks? I didn't have any trouble getting one for my 85 a few years back. Try rockauto?

Or do a hydroboost swap and get rid of the problem...;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between an 83 and the later trucks? I didn't have any trouble getting one for my 85 a few years back. Try rockauto?

I believe there may be some unique things on the 83's. This was the first year for the diesel. This was also the first year they no longer made the F-100, 82 was the last year for the F-100's. The fuel pickup in the tanks is different, there is no "cone of failure" in the 83's and I think some 84's also. This was also the first year for some of the cosmetic changes. This was the first year for the Ford "blue oval" in the grill, not F O R D spelled out across the hood. The first year for just the model number on the fender, prior to that, it also listed the package on the fender. There were some other subtle changes that make the 83's and later unique from the 80-82's. I know on our 83 F-150, it actually had an 82 model year engine in it. We found this out on the first tune-up and the cap and rotor for an 83 351 would not fit. We took them back and told them what they looked like, and they said, Oh those are what the 82 ones look like. Got a set of 82 cap and rotor and all was good.

Just another year of Ford's ******* children..... just like the 97 Light Duty F-250 with 7 lugs and an F-150 body......

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I believe there may be some unique things on the 83's. This was the first year for the diesel. This was also the first year they no longer made the F-100, 82 was the last year for the F-100's. The fuel pickup in the tanks is different, there is no "cone of failure" in the 83's and I think some 84's also. This was also the first year for some of the cosmetic changes. This was the first year for the Ford "blue oval" in the grill, not F O R D spelled out across the hood. The first year for just the model number on the fender, prior to that, it also listed the package on the fender. There were some other subtle changes that make the 83's and later unique from the 80-82's. I know on our 83 F-150, it actually had an 82 model year engine in it. We found this out on the first tune-up and the cap and rotor for an 83 351 would not fit. We took them back and told them what they looked like, and they said, Oh those are what the 82 ones look like. Got a set of 82 cap and rotor and all was good.

Just another year of Ford's ******* children..... just like the 97 Light Duty F-250 with 7 lugs and an F-150 body......

My first truck was a 1983 F-100. It may as well have been an F-150 though. It had the larger 5x5.5 lug pattern like the F-150 but it had F-100 badges. Maybe they were just trying to get rid of the last few badges after they stopped making them. :sly

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We found one eventually. Plenty of under 8500lbs with dual piston but really hard to get over 8500lbs with dual piston. Brakes are good now although my rear wheels still lock up with no trailer and nothing in the bed which is what it will be running a fair amount of the time

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We found one eventually. Plenty of under 8500lbs with dual piston but really hard to get over 8500lbs with dual piston. Brakes are good now although my rear wheels still lock up with no trailer and nothing in the bed which is what it will be running a fair amount of the time

Probably have a leaking wheel seal, a little gear oil on brake pads tends to lock up brakes.