1965 Cadillac Devidi

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My long term goal was always to have 1 car, 1 suv and 1 truck all running 7.3 IDI drivetrains. The first step in my goal was acquiring all three candidates, which took some time.

I have the car now and it’s my daily driver.
1965 Cadillac Deville, looking to be the first of this car with a 7.3 IDI.

I’ll need a 2WD C6 for this, if anyone has one that’s interested in selling or trading for different IDI drivetrain parts I have, let me know.

It’s running a front sump 429 currently but there looks like there might be enough room to run the rear sump IDI without having to modify the pan and pickup but time will tell.

You must be registered for see images attach

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite interested in watching the build, don't let the thread die!

Now what's your reasoning behind a 7.3 IDI car?

Never-Have-I-Ether

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll keep it alive with the gas updates until it’s diesel time. I like the 7.3 IDI engine and I always thought it would be cool if i had three different vehicles and everything was interchangeable. People put Cummins in the deville but no one’s put an IDI.

I spent the last three days getting a broken fuel pump arm out of the engine and fixing the charging system.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My long term goal was always to have 1 car, 1 suv and 1 truck all running 7.3 IDI drivetrains. The first step in my goal was acquiring all three candidates, which took some time.

I have the car now and it’s my daily driver.
1965 Cadillac Deville, looking to be the first of this car with a 7.3 IDI.

I’ll need a 2WD C6 for this, if anyone has one that’s interested in selling or trading for different IDI drivetrain parts I have, let me know.

It’s running a front sump 429 currently but there looks like there might be enough room to run the rear sump IDI without having to modify the pan and pickup but time will tell.

You'll have to change your name to "hackedcaddi". I had a 77 coupe DeVille with a 425cid @20 years ago. That engine was so sweet, if you looked at the key switch it would crank up. I'm not a GM guy but that was a nice car, very enjoyable to drive, and it was the last new Cadillac Elvis could have bought. But yeah, I'll be curious to see a IDI caddy conversion.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant wait to see some progress on this. Just wondering, why a C6? why not a E4OD? Or even a ZF5 with a real tall shifter!!
C6 is cheaper both from parts perspective and whether you rebuild yourself or not, doesn't use a pcm, is shorter in length and I have c6s for other things already and they are good transmissions if you are off roading, working at lower speeds, have low gear rear end, or not going over 70mph

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C6 is cheaper both from parts perspective and whether you rebuild yourself or not, doesn't use a pcm, is shorter in length and I have c6s for other things already and they are good transmissions if you are off roading, working at lower speeds, have low gear rear end, or not going over 70mph
I agree C6 is a good transmission. I had one in a f250 with the 460. thing was bullet proof.

I was just thinking that having the overdrive in the Cadillac would be nice. to me it seems like more of a cruising car that is not going to do a lot of towing. (maybe you have a different idea for it LOL) Some taller gears and overdrive would make it a sweet highway cruiser. and you can get a stand alone controller for them. but that is all more time and money. either way I cant wait to see this come together.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the C6 won't give the car the best mpg. Can the transmission itself be regeared for taller gears?

Never-Have-I-Ether

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the third project in line and I for certain want to put a high HP IDI build in a car. This is the project criteria that I want to shoot for some potential record setting “documented” numbers. The only thing I’ve been debating is if I should use the Cadillac for the platform or a different car. The challenge with the Cadillac is that it is pre-corporate GM and has many odds and ends that are specific to the year. Even the rear end isn’t corporate GM and riveted together.

My current idea is to keep it FOMOCO for my line up and find and early 1970s Mercury Cyclone or Montego with a manual trans and then do a 7.3 with 2wd ZF5 swap. Started searching. Found a potential lead.

There a few of those that came with a BB429 which looking at the dimensions the IDI should work.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fantasy of taking an old station wagon like a Country Squire and stuffing one of the new 7.3 godzilla motors in it!!
A 7.3 IDI in one would be fun too. On the other hand a big Lincoln Continental land yacht would be sweet too.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fantasy of taking an old station wagon like a Country Squire and stuffing one of the new 7.3 godzilla motors in it!!
A 7.3 IDI in one would be fun too. On the other hand a big Lincoln Continental land yacht would be sweet too.
I saw a YouTube of a 90's crown Victoria with a power stroke in it. The video is shot from above the car and as the guy gets on it black smoke starts boiling out from under the car and then it goes. They really crammed it in there.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have similar aspirations!!! Just not quite as interchangeable. All the same fuel.

Car: Station Wagon hands down!! VW TDI is hard to contend with here, although a 70’s wagon is right up my alley!! Grew up in one.

SUV: I always thought a suburban, but Wally (E350 EB) TAKES THE CAKE.

Pickup: I have a 24V, late 2002 so it has a 3rd Gen front axle. Although I’d trade for a similar equipped idi!!

Cant wait to see this Caddy swapped and burning dead dinos!!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t notice before, why the winch?

What are the rear gears?

Long shot, I’ll ask dad, but I’m pretty sure we have a 2wd C6, yours for free, but in South Dakota. (Bummer)