19.5 wheels .....are they for you?

Whit

Reaction score
I thought I would share my experiences with my latest modification, the eddition of 19.5 wheels and tires. These are available for Dodge,Chevy and Ford as a DIRECT BOLT UP thru Rickson and can be seen here Rickson tires and wheels I have no affiliation with Rickson and do know that 19.5's are available thru Alcoa but are not a direct bolt up, an adapter plate is necessary for all 3 truck brands.

The reason I went with 19.5's is for the load rating, each wheel and tire is rated for about 2 x's what my oem's were good for, I ocassionally have my GVW around 32K and have been as high as 36.6K, I felt the oem wheels and tires were the weak link for this payload and am now comfortable with what I have.

I am running the Toyo TY 303- 285x6.75x19.5 they are 35.2" tall and I did have to install a 2.5 lift on the frontend to allow turning clearence for them, at the time of installation I opted to install new control arms from DT as well as a new adjustable track bar and bracket,I also had to installe a calibrator to correct my speedomotor and a set of RS 9000 Rancho shocks.

I have 3.55 gear ratio and run with a 6 speed transmission this gave me some options for my towing needs as well as cruzing speeds while empty. My rpm's run 1600 @65 mph while in 6th gear, this is great for economy while empty, in 5th@65 mph it runs at 2200 rpm, this is a great sweetspot while towing a load, havent had to downshift from 5th yet with my 5er on mountain passes on 9% grades.Although I have never dynoed I believe I am around 800 lb.ft. of torque.

My truck weighs in at 9660 lbs without me in it and I get 20-21 mpg empty and 16-18 towing my 5er pending grade %, my gvw of truck and 5er is right at 22k.

Here is a pic of the 19.5 vs the oem 16x265

Cheers, Kevin

Attachments

• 19.5 wheel.jpg
    19.5 wheel.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

capt 24

Reaction score
Have been leaning towars the 19.5" wheels at next tire change. I do a lot of hauling and want the extended mileage in tires. Watch for a special on Rickson's site for wheel and tire specials. I understand he has some good prices on refurbished wheels.

CHarlan

Reaction score
Wanna see more pics!! I have thought about doing it, but I just bought new ALCOA 16x7 Classic's... I am set for now!

CHarlan

Reaction score
I bet they look sharp!!!! Like I said, if I had the $$ right then, I would have done the swap in a heartbeat! Along with Disc Brakes all the way around!

Whit

Reaction score
I will get more pics soon, I hope Max gets the pic section going for our rigs. hint hint

Cheers, Kevin