10 ply tires for our trucks

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have kelly Safari MSR's on the duals, Firestones up front....The Kelly's are awesome in the snow - not that it's an issue for you southern boys....LOL....I don't drive this truck that much so they should last me for years.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I myself like the BFG Rugged Trail. They are what came stock on the Superdutys in the 99 and 2000s. not an overly aggressive tire but do quite well in mild off roading. And they wear well will almost NO road noise or cupping.

If they would come in a 315 i think that is all I would put on my trucks.

Now, If you never leave the pavement, then the bFG Commercial Traction is for you. Last FOREVER and are a quality built tire.

No I am NOT a real BFG fan. I wouldnt run the all terrains if they were FREE and I used to like the OLD mud terrain but absolutely hate the new design. I just like the 2 tires above

Wow I would have thought that the commercial tractions would be half decent offroad compared to say the rugged trail. I was eyeing those or the Uniroyal version for my next set...

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radials on the rear bias on the front should be fine. It could cause problems if you have bias in the back and radials in the front.

fordf350dually

ih power
Reaction score
thats why they say by cooper on the sidewall? not argueing it but the ones i put on last week said nexem by cooper. less im getting it mistaken for another brand with an n made by cooper

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Handling problems. Radial tires grip the road better than bias ply's. So if you were to have radials up front and bias ply in the back it could be a dangerous handling situation.

:angel: Not to argue, but not to put a bunch of mis-information out there either, the radial/bias mixing on different axles warnings are mostly un-proven myth.

It may hold true on some wimpy 1500-pound front-wheel-drive rolling-casket; but, on a heavy 3/4- or 1-ton truck, one will never know the difference with radials on one end and bias on the other.

Over the years, I have put many miles on mixed tires with sometimes the radials being on the front axle and sometimes on the rear.

I have never had a single issue, regardless of how slick the road, how heavy or light the load, or how heavily the braking application.

I am speaking from actual seat-of-the-pants experience and not from some drawn on paper or test-track theory.
:)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys aren't supposed to make me work:backoff:backoff:backoff:backoff
let's keep it clean eh?;Sweet

now about the made in China tires......
the chinese will build whatever you spec. Most american tire companies are sourcing chinese made tires too. So is Nexen. Don't assume the name means anything anymore. this week my tire warehouse is having a special on Hercules Alltrac A/T. Hercules/Cooper....supposedly an american name.....this 235/85/16 is made in China. yup. 17/32 deep lugs, not bad looking, ok sidewall stiffness, balances out ok. my cost $109ea. it is what it is guys. now would I buy and install the chinese domestic branded stuff...not a chance in hell. those have no min spec let alone quality control.

Like he said, just about every well-known tire-maker has a portion of their product made in China.

Some of the most respected longest-lasting tires out there are China-made; TOYO, MAXXIS, and now several Cooper tires sport the "made in CHINA" label; and, sad as it is to say, are as good as anything made on American soil.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BURT,

I am very sorry for your bad tire luck.

Please don't take me wrong as ---

:angel: I am gonna exonerate the un-sub/suspect in this case.:angel:

I have had too much experience with purposefully knifed and ice-picked tires.

Most cases are the result of a jealous husband or boyfriend.

Also, over the years, we have had situations where every tire in a church parking-lot has been stabbed and every last one of them flat as a board before church let out.

Anyone knifing a tire wants to see it flat and a knifed sidewall will go flat within seconds.

Also, unless they get caught in the act, they will knife every tire on the vehicle.

Radial tires have paper-thin squishy sidewalls that are almost touching the ground when the adjacent tread is on the ground.

The weakest point in a radial sidewall is that point just where the tread stops and the sidewall begins.

My theory on your situation is that you ran over something sharp and it was purely a case of luck of the draw.

Then, again, I could be wrong. :)

As I said in an earlier post I had problems with Good Year wranglers having sidewall issues and I am not talking about cord separation either. If someone is going to knife a tire or ice pick it they will usually stab it a few times not just once and as you said more than one tire.

Years ago an uncle of mine I think it was back in the 60's had all four of his tires slashed. He knew who did it but did not bother to call the cops. The next night he smashed out all the windows of the guys car who slashed his tires including the windshield. He never had his tires slashed again by that guy or anyone else.

:angel: Not to argue, but not to put a bunch of mis-information out there either, the radial/bias mixing on different axles warnings are mostly un-proven myth.

It may hold true on some wimpy 1500-pound front-wheel-drive rolling-casket; but, on a heavy 3/4- or 1-ton truck, one will never know the difference with radials on one end and bias on the other.

Over the years, I have put many miles on mixed tires with sometimes the radials being on the front axle and sometimes on the rear.

I have never had a single issue, regardless of how slick the road, how heavy or light the load, or how heavily the braking application.

I am speaking from actual seat-of-the-pants experience and not from some drawn on paper or test-track theory.

Not to argue with you either but I am talking from actual experience also and I am not talking about a small light car. I am talking about a 1972 Cadillac fleetwood that weighed 7K empty. In addition I once worked at a tire dealer installing all kinds of tires. I sure would not want to tell someone it's ok for them to run bias ply on the rear and radials up front and have them get in an accident when it is not ok.

Anytime I post anything on this board it is from actual experience. I added the video to show my point.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a buddy who swears by them too. he's a little more scarry though. he's got bias on the drivers and radial on the steercookoo

:eek: As have I for the last couple years.

I got in a situation where I had to have front tires and couldn't wait until the bias came in.

Since then, there have been two radial TOYO HTs on the steers and four bias Power Kings on the drives.

This is not the first time I have ran mixed flavors.

Not for long now, though, as I have, sitting behind the living-room couch, two shiny new bias STA Super Transports on freshly painted wheels just waiting on me taking time to bolt them on.

So as to not get caught with my drawers down again, I went ahead and got four steers and eight drives while the getting was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online