10 ply tires for our trucks

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stop baiting or you're getting a vacation.

I am not baiting. I am letting him know one time what he might be dealing with and how to solve the problem.

Years ago before I had my truck I had someone egging my car on a daily basis. I suspected it was a neighbor who felt the car was an eye sore. My solution was to put a paper on the dash that said "Smile your on video camera" the car was never egged again.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I myself like the BFG Rugged Trail. They are what came stock on the Superdutys in the 99 and 2000s. not an overly aggressive tire but do quite well in mild off roading. And they wear well will almost NO road noise or cupping.

Now, If you never leave the pavement, then the bFG Commercial Traction is for you. Last FOREVER and are a quality built tire.

No I am NOT a real BFG fan. I wouldnt run the all terrains if they were FREE and I used to like the OLD mud terrain but absolutely hate the new design. I just like the 2 tires above

used to have a good friend that would run nothing but bfg these are just personal experiance and all of these were on the same truck.. 01 or 02 dodge 1 ton cummins 4x4 that saw just as much time off road as it did on

first he had the bfg rugged trail and iagree on the rugged trail lasting..but from my experience they do not clean well in the gumbo mud that we had around the coast.

then he went with a set of the old school bfg mud terrains.. wear was good for a mud tire...bout 45-50k out of them and off road traction was good

then he bought the new style mud terrains off road traction was EXCELLENT but they only lasted about 20k

after that he went with the all terrains and they just all around sucked... worse off road performance than the rugged trail... and wear was horrible, cant remember exact mileage but it was around 30k and they were BALD

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not baiting. I am letting him know one time what he might be dealing with and how to solve the problem.

Years ago before I had my truck I had someone egging my car on a daily basis. I suspected it was a neighbor who felt the car was an eye sore. My solution was to put a paper on the dash that said "Smile your on video camera" the car was never egged again.
you're a senior member here. you should know better. I'm not looking at a single post, I am looking at a mess from yesterday plus a baiting thread you started. the post you just got a warning about is nothing more than another continuing jab with a little information thrown in. take it for what it is. you've been warned. want to talk to me about it? take it to pm's.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally have no use for BFG tires. I have a set of(well 3 now) the old style M/T's in 315 /75R16 that I have been rotating between trucks for 5 years now, they wear like iron, has to be 40K on them and they're still better than 65%, that said, I still wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't of gotten a smoking deal on them($800 practicly new with a set of Helo 16x10 maxx 8's.)
I have a set of General Grabber AT2's in 235/85R16 that I had studded in 05, I have run them primarily as an October to April tire, so while they do see snow, they also have seen a fair bit of pavement, but no real hot temps on the truck. Between 3 Trucks, they are probably nearing the 85K mile mark, and while I wouldn't want to run them a full winter on a highway truck anymore(the studs are starting to leave the tire, they've been on the plow truck for 3 winters now), they are still a good ways from the wear bars.

My work truck(08 2500HD Duramax) has a set of 235/85 BFG A/T's we put on it last september, at 17K miles, the majority of which were put on last winter, and having been rotated regularly, they are probably no better than 35%

I had to replace one of my 315's, and ended up with a Kelly safari TSR, I'm actually quite impressed by the tire build itself, it balanced well, and, even moreso, it's actually a load range E tire, not often you find them in that size.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
used to have a good friend that would run nothing but bfg these are just personal experiance and all of these were on the same truck.. 01 or 02 dodge 1 ton cummins 4x4 that saw just as much time off road as it did on

first he had the bfg rugged trail and iagree on the rugged trail lasting..but from my experience they do not clean well in the gumbo mud that we had around the coast.

then he went with a set of the old school bfg mud terrains.. wear was good for a mud tire...bout 45-50k out of them and off road traction was good

then he bought the new style mud terrains off road traction was EXCELLENT but they only lasted about 20k

after that he went with the all terrains and they just all around sucked... worse off road performance than the rugged trail... and wear was horrible, cant remember exact mileage but it was around 30k and they were BALD

Next time I'm going to try those BFG mud terrain. I know it will be good for me to have a little more traction in my van, specially in these dirt roads after a shower. I have been very close sometimes to get stuck in sugar sand also with the current Goodyear tires. The farm truck has six Uniroyal Laredo, I think I got them at Walmart long time ago. They are OK because that truck doesn't get to go out much, just to a dairy farm and some chicken farms close by some times.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Burt.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
nexem is made by cooper. we sell coopers :)

Nexen is not built by cooper.

Never has, never will. That's a quote from Mr. Ho.

Cooper bought into Kumho, an 11% investment to expand into the Korean market and to share technology.

BTW to the poster who inquired about mud terrains for their van? The Nexen Roadian MT is pretty decent!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Crap, I forgot to take pics of those Hercules tires on my truck Towcat....too dark now, but I PROMISE I will get them tomorrow. They really are a nice tire. I am considering another set when these ones give up their lifespan in the next 2 or so years.

w4dsb

Reaction score
i have 2 nexen AT's on the front of my 89 and so far (10k miles) they's doing great!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on bias tires?
I know that MIDNIGHT RIDER and RLDSL swear by them, but haven't really heard anything from anything else...I've never run them and have always been afraid of them (heard too many stories about them developing flat spots that wouldn't ever go away), but I'd like to learn more about them, and the advantages/disadvantages compared to radial tires...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that MIDNIGHT RIDER and RLDSL swear by them, but haven't really heard anything from anything else...I've never run them and have always been afraid of them (heard too many stories about them developing flat spots that wouldn't ever go away), but I'd like to learn more about them, and the advantages/disadvantages compared to radial tires...
i have a buddy who swears by them too. he's a little more scarry though. he's got bias on the drivers and radial on the steercookoo

gatorman21218

Reaction score
id like to try some 7.5-16s. if only for the fact I hate metric with a passion. the tire size system is by far the dumbest thing ever