01 powerstroke to 97 powerstroke swap

idismoker7.3

COWBOY UP
Reaction score
I have a 2001 f350. Powerstroke with a bad motor something broke in the block thinking the cam broke. Anyways I have a 97 powerstroke motor and trans will i beable to do a a full swap motor. And tran

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I know for a fact that yes, you can do this. A friend of mine put a 97 engine into his 99 SD. He kept his SD trans though; I believe the internals are different between the E4od's, and I don't remember what year Ford changed to the 4r100. I would keep the SD trans in your truck.

You're going to have to change some things, mostly externals.
-the exhaust manifolds
-the up pipes
-the turbo
-the fuel bowl
-the HPOP
-the injectors
-valve covers and UVCH's
-the intake manifolds (what the intercooler goes into on each side of the head, which requires removing the turbo and front timing cover to get to)
-the front accessories and mounts will all have to be changed.

Now, that's not a full comprehensive list of what all needs changed, but what you want is to basically strip that '97 block down to a long block with just heads and a complete block, and then build it up with all the SD stuff. And you'll need a 7/8" freeze plug to plug the hole for the mechanical fuel pump on the '97.

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I thought 94.5 and up got rid of the lift pump once they went to the true powerstroke

There are two generations of 7.3 powerstrokes, and each of those is broken down into 2 different categories, making 2 generations and 4 categories of 7.3 powerstokes.
1st Generation, and 1st category, is the OBS PSD introduced in 1994.5 and runs to 1997. 2nd category is the "california emissions" found only in 1997. The "cali" trucks came with split shot injectors, and totally different tuning than the other engines. Not all 1997 engines are "cali" engines, though. Most aren't. All of the 1st generation PSD's have mechanical fuel pumps located in the valley right in front of the turbo.

The 2nd generation PSD (and 3rd category) is introduced in 1999, with the Super Duty. These are known as "e99 or early 99" Super Duty's. In late 1999, the 4th category of Super Duty was introduced with upgrades to the oil system and turbo. The 2nd generation PSD has an electronic fuel pump, mounted down on the frame close to the fuel tank.

But Thanks for the information. Anything crazy need to be done with the wiring

Nothing needs to be done if you swap everything from your SD engine onto the 1997 engine. They are the same basic engine with minor differences, but nothing that you will notice by looking at it, and nothing that will affect you being able to run the OBS PSD in a SD truck.

One more thing I forgot to add of parts to change, is your valve covers and UVCH's (under-valve-cover-harnesses). The OBS has 2 connectors on each side and are prone to burning out, and the SD has a single connector on each side and is the better design of the two. I edited my original post to reflect this.

idismoker7.3

COWBOY UP
Reaction score
By fuel. Pump. U mean. The injector pump that's. Were. I was confused. Sorry. I thought. U were talking. About. The pump on the side of the block like my idi has sory anyway which set up should i go with on the swap the sd system?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I thought 94.5 and up got rid of the lift pump once they went to the true powerstroke

By fuel. Pump. U mean. The injector pump that's. Were. I was confused. Sorry. I thought. U were talking. About. The pump on the side of the block like my idi has sory anyway which set up should i go with on the swap the sd system?

No, I actually mean that the 1st generation powerstrokes had a mechanical lift pump in the valley. Same type of principle as the lift pump down on the side of the block for an IDI, but it's a two-stage; one stage pulls fuel from the tank through the fuel bowl, and the second stage takes that fuel from 8 psi and ramps it up to about 60 psi through the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Anyway, Super Duty's have a slightly different cast for their blocks and don't have the hole in the valley anymore for that mechanical pump.

The injection pump on an IDI is replaced (kind of, in a way) by the High Pressure Oil Pump, or HPOP. It's a very crude comparison, and not technically correct, but for now it will work. The 1st generation PSD's have a 15* pump, and the late SD's have a 17* pump. Supplies more oil to the injectors. The SD uses a "split shot" injector, which requires more oil to run. The OBS has a "single shot" injector, which is why they can get away with having the lower rating HPOP.

If nothing else, just go look at the top of the two different engines. You'll see what I'm talking about. There are differences in the fuel delivery system in how they each get their fuel from the fuel tank, but at a bare bones level, they're basically the same engine.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you're up for the swap, I say do it. Technically, the OBS PSD engine is a stronger engine internally than the SD engine. The OBS has forged rods, and the SD has powdered rods. The OBS can stand up to a lot more horsepower than the SD can with stock internals.

idismoker7.3

COWBOY UP
Reaction score
I have to do it just learning first. We were hualin and it lost power then died. Let it Sit and she fired up ran good then did the same. Then would fire but only. Idle. Now won't fire. We found a push rod on the drivers side That broke in half and we fixed that tried starting it with ether. But the. Turbo is spinning backwards. Blowing .Not. sucking

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you're up for the swap, I say do it. Technically, the OBS PSD engine is a stronger engine internally than the SD engine. The OBS has forged rods, and the SD has powdered rods. The OBS can stand up to a lot more horsepower than the SD can with stock internals.

This would be late 01 and up only.
Early 01 and back have forged rods.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I know for a fact that yes, you can do this. A friend of mine put a 97 engine into his 99 SD. He kept his SD trans though; I believe the internals are different between the E4od's, and I don't remember what year Ford changed to the 4r100. I would keep the SD trans in your truck.

99 is the first year for the 4R100. You can use a 4R100 in a OBS truck. You cant use the E4OD in a SD.

There are two sensor on the 4R100 that are not on the E4OD. Turbine speed sensor and Output shaft speed sensors are used to set the shift schedule.