ZF5 Rebuild

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread was edited due to the great content on two different subjects. The original Intercooler topic starter can be found HERE while the later ZF discussion follows.

Last edited by a moderator:

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok instead of starting a new thread, does anyone have any idea why my "new" clutch that really only has 1500 miles tops on it, wont engage?

Throw out bearing getting caught up on the shaft? It engages just barely enough to roll and I can get it to back up in the driveway if I push the clutch in then dump it. Ive pulled the inspection cover off, there seems to be plenty of clutch material and Ive had a buddy watch the clutch engage while I'm inside pushing and releasing the pedal.

I'm stumped and at a total standstill with this truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok instead of starting a new thread, does anyone have any idea why my "new" clutch that really only has 1500 miles tops on it, wont engage?

Throw out bearing getting caught up on the shaft? It engages just barely enough to roll and I can get it to back up in the driveway if I push the clutch in then dump it. Ive pulled the inspection cover off, there seems to be plenty of clutch material and Ive had a buddy watch the clutch engage while I'm inside pushing and releasing the pedal.

I'm stumped and at a total standstill with this truck.
i take it you smell burning clutch material?
how long was it sitting?

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clutch smell at all. Only thing I can come up with is the slave is sticking. I have a brand new bendix slave but I dont want to use it if I dont have to, would rather return it and get my money back lol.

The truck sat from this past December till 2 weeks ago. Its weird, when my buddy first rolled it out of its parking spot for the past 6 months he tried bump starting it and it dragged the back tires down his hill (paved). but now I cant even get it to barely engage besides 4 low and bumping the clutch.

discbrks

Reaction score
Man that thing sounds good! Don't forget to turn up the IP to get the most out of the turbo.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this problem with the Night Moose when we first put it together. Turns out the Fork was not in properly. I'd check that first.

Whats the story on no wheel wells?

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that thing sounds good! Don't forget to turn up the IP to get the most out of the turbo.

Already did, its 1.5 or 2 turns up. Complete pain in the ass to do LOL

I had this problem with the Night Moose when we first put it together. Turns out the Fork was not in properly. I'd check that first.

Whats the story on no wheel wells?

Hmm might be, just weird how it worked perfectly then stopped all of a sudden.

On the wheel wells I trashed them because they were old cracked and the insulation on the backside was just falling off and making a mess. If I ever reinstall inner wells I'll make them out of sheet metal.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok question on my gauges I'm about to get, its an A pillar 3 pod setup with boost, pyro, and trans temp.
I wanted to use the trans temp gauge for the intercooler. Should I put it in the radiator for the intercooler or would it be more practical to read the actual air temp on the "cool" side of the intercooler just before the intake? Gauge reads 120*-300*'s fyi.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i would put it were it reads the air tempurature right before it goes into the engine