Powermaster 9050/9051

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share my experience with a dead starter and Powermaster Technical support. I will post a very short version of this at the end for the impatient folks who don't want to read a novel LOL

I purchased a 9050 in September of 2021. It died in July of 2023, just shy of two years. After confirming the issue was the starter and not a wiring problem I contacted powermaster customer support through email.

Here is what I sent them.

Hello, I'm not sure if this is a question for you or for the tech line. I'm wondering if replacement parts are available for the 9050 starter. I'm beyond the warranty period (September of 2021, picture of invoice attached) and something has failed, the starter just clicks. I left work, stopped at the store, then went to a third destination and nothing but a click. I was able to pull start the engine without issue. All of the cables have been recently replaced, I have already tried bypassing the fender solenoid. I will have to pull the starter out for further diagnosis. Thank you for your assistance,

Here is the reply I received

We have a factory repair program, factory parts at factory cost and no labor charges. We will be able to help you know what failed and why it has failed. Most starter failures are due to low voltage on the ignition terminal, this is from the key switch, if you do not have at least 11 volts on the small wire when cranking the starter , you will have to chase the voltage drop all the way back to the ignition switch. This is the main circuit and is not direct to the battery. Please put your name, address and phone number in the box and ship to, Powermaster Performance 1833 Downs Dr. West Chicago, IL. 60185 Thank You Ed Law Tech Department Powermaster Performance

Pay attention to the place where he explicitly mentions low voltage being a common issue. I have had issues with my batteries from sitting, and issues with corrosion in my cables, right up to the point it wouldn't start so I had to replace the cables.

So I bought a new starter and shipped this one off. I received a call today (two days after their receipt of the starter) Ed told me that they found lots of damage from low voltage, I don't remember exactly what was said, arcing corrosion or something possibly? I don't want to make it sound like he was spouting BS or anything, I just don't recall exactly what he had said. He also told me the oil from my leak had seeped past the seals and contaminating the internals.

None of this was any surprise to me. He said it wasn't worth repairing, but they could sell me another starter for a discounted price. I did not feel like I was being taken advantage of. Everything made perfect sense and I appreciated the time they took to look at the old starter and explain everything to me.

He told me the price and I will update it with the exact number later, but I believe it was roughly $160 shipped, with about $22 of that being just the shipping charges. For comparison, the replacement starter I bought was the cheapest place I could find another powermaster. Summit had it for $223 plus $18 shipping just over $240 shipped. So they sold me a replacement starter for almost $100 less than list. I was unable to pay at that time as I was driving so I told him I would call back.

I called him a few hours later after work. I told him about the debacle I was having with my alternator and asked what he had. All said and done I spoke with Ed for probably 30 minutes. It was extremely pleasant and honestly felt like talking to an old friend. He was more than happy to answer any questions I had and encouraged me to call again if I needed help.

(Details on my alternator drama here https://www.oilburners.net/threads/diego-revisited.87745/page-19#post-1125895)

I asked him the important question about the replacement starter. Is it a full rebuild of my old one? Is it a complete new unit? Will it be fully tested? Basically what's the deal.

He told me they are technically Blems. It could be a cosmetic issue, or something that failed function testing the first time around. Basically anything that was deemed not good enough by QC to be sold as a new unit. He told me anything that failed the functional test the first time would be replaced and repaired until they passed the test. Everything is run through a Dyno load test and must pass before they will sell it even as a blem. I am perfectly ok with that. I've run Blem batteries before for years without issues. As long as it works as it should, I'm perfectly happy with saving a big chunk of change if it has a scratch nick.

He told me that the person in charge (he used a name, I don't remember what it was) is very strict about their quality standards and I believe he said they make everything here in the US. Their own windings, their own varnish, everything they can control to produce a quality product.

He could be feeding me a line, he could be pulling my leg, but I didn't get that feeling at all. He didn't try to hide anything as far as I could tell and was very pleasant, but it didn't seem fake, he seemed like a genuinely nice person.

I will update this when the replacement arrives and any relevant data will be added as well, but that is my experience and I am extremely pleased. A little customer service goes a long way with me. Unless everything falls apart when the replacement shows up (which I highly doubt) they have earned my repeat business and my respect.

TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read)

My old starter was shot because of issues that were technically my fault and a lack of proper maintenance on my part. They offered a reasonable replacement at a sharply discounted price and were very pleasant to deal with. They have earned my business and I have no issues recommending them.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live close to powermaster and bought a starter for another car from them. They were very helpful and showed me around. Saw starters and alternators being built and tested. Every starter I saw them test was good. If I ever need another starter I will get it from them.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live close to powermaster and bought a starter for another car from them. They were very helpful and showed me around. Saw starters and alternators being built and tested. Every starter I saw them test was good. If I ever need another starter I will get it from them.
In communist countries they always tour you through the best areas and make it look good, the sweat shop was probably out back being guarded by German shepherds and goose stepping Nazis. I'm not saying this is really what's going on, but both of your accounts sound "just a little TOOO good".

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In communist countries they always tour you through the best areas and make it look good, the sweat shop was probably out back being guarded by German shepherds and goose stepping Nazis. I'm not saying this is really what's going on, but both of your accounts sound "just a little TOOO good".

You're almost as skeptical as I am aren't you LOL

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In communist countries they always tour you through the best areas and make it look good,
the sweat shop was probably out back being guarded
This reminded me of the term...'Potemkin Village'...if anyone is curious what the heck I am talking about...look it up...

Mr. Jesus Freak...it usually is very entertaining and thought provoking when you chime in...I get a kick outta your input.

On the starter issue...I am glad you got it worked out...this is why people need to actually TALK with one another...good things can happen.

Patience and understanding go a long way.

Rock on...

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for going through all the trouble to post your experience with Powermaster. I had a similar issue with a Powermaster starter that I felt failed prematurely. I also had similar issues with oil leakes and battery issues. Of course I blaimed it on the poor quality of the starter but held off thinking something else could have contributed to the failure. Great to hear they offer some good customer support. I would not hesitate to buy another. Lots of crap out there, but I feel they make a quality product

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent Ed a link to this thread and he replied with some pictures of the solenoid from my starter.

Chris, great write up, loved the replies. I am sending the photos we took of the solenoid on your starter .
First pic you can see the stain on the white board. The black around the contacts is the low voltage burns.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little customer service goes a long way with me.

Same here. Especially since it's so hard to find these days.
I completely agree with this.

Not much I hate more than calling somewhere and getting a damn computer. (I have gotten to the point now that as soon as I realize it's an automated system I let my wife deal with it, she has a lot more patience than I do) After spending forever trying to figure out which number to push, finally getting a person only to be transferred to someone else numerous times. No one seems to know who you need to talk to, or somehow the call gets dropped and it all starts over again.

Most of the time even if you do finally get to talk to the rite person they aren't usually of any help.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t know how this thread slipped by me.
Interesting the great support you got from Power Master.
Great tec support is right here in this country and that speak real English.

I have the 9050 on the 86, must have been on there 5 years by now,
never a problem with it, and oil soaked it is.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never a problem with it, and oil soaked it is.

I don't think it was oil honestly. I think the contamination was actually diesel. The one picture he sent with fluid on it was far too clean to be oil and looked slightly greenish. I definitely have a fuel leak in the valley pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.