ZF Fast Cooler Install

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last month I began pondering installing a home-brewed tranny cooler setup and posted this: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ng-a-transmission-cooler-pump-on-a-ZF-5-speed

I pontificated on the feedback and posted this earlier this month: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-about-pump-for-ZF-tranny-cooler-installation

Acting on the recommendations of some people on here and using a little common sense (mostly the realization that it would be cheaper and much easier to just bolt a pair of Fast Coolers on to lower my tranny temps than building a system to affect the same change), I ordered a pair of Fast Coolers ( http://fastcoolers.com/ ) in mid-September:

You must be registered for see images

Definitely a well-made product. They're probably about 3/4" thick high-strength extruded aluminum.

Here's a pic of what the passenger side of the ZF looked like before I installed the cooler (I had already drained the ATF):

And here's what it looked like after I installed the Fast Cooler:

This was a super-easy install. The 'hardest' part was cleaning the PTO surface to get good adhesion with the RTV. All told, it took about an hour to pull off the PTO plate, clean it and reinstall it with the Fast Cooler. I must have laid the RTV on a little too thin on the bottom rear of the area where the PTO plate seals to the Fast Cooler because it leaks slightly from there now.

Have my tranny temps decreased, you ask? Well, sorta. Since I can't install both because the Hypermax up-pipe on the driver's side interferes with the PTO plate, I'm not getting optimal cooling. I refilled the tranny with about a gallon of AMSoil synthetic ATF and about a pint of 75W-90 gear oil. I took it for a spin unloaded over to I-5 (about 15 miles away) and then north about 20 miles on the freeway. While driving to the freeway, I noticed that the temperature stayed below 160*, where before it would get to 190*. Once on the freeway, I got to 70 MPH (I don't usually drive over about 62 MPH for fuel mileage but I was curious to see what would happen). After five or six minutes, the temp. got to 210* and stayed there. I got off the freeway seven or eight minutes later, turned around and headed back. I stopped in Woodland (about 18 miles away), and let the truck sit for about a half hour while I did some shopping. Once I got back in, the temp. had lowered to 160* and it didn't get any hotter on my trip back home.

Based on my very limited experience with this cooler installed, I think it does help to keep the tranny cooler, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make while towing my trailer long distances. I'll drive it around some more, and may tow the trailer with it to see what happens. I'm thinking I would be better served by installing the driver's side cooler, but that would involve modifying the Hypermax up-pipe, so that will sit on the back burner for the time being.

Reaction score
Interesting. I'd never even heard of the ZF (or any manual trans) having an issue with overheating, let alone there being a product to address it.

Mike

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I'd never even heard of the ZF (or any manual trans) having an issue with overheating...

I know, it's not a common problem. But I installed a tranny temp gauge a year and a half ago and have seen the temperature get past 270* while towing my trailer long distances. That's too hot, IMHO.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cooler looks like a nice easy install! Could be some cheap insurance if you tow a lot; look forward to seeing the temps when you tow with it again!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your update;Sweet, are those coolers smooth on the inside or do they have fins inside as well? If they are smooth that's decent amount of cooling going on. If they are finned inside I would have expected a further reduction in temps.

I see another tech article....:sly:sly

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got my attention. Might have to think about that one. Definitely don't need to be changing out trans fluid every year.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that pipe with the P on it is exhaust and that close, it seems to me that is defeating the purpose of the cooler, with the heat off the road, you ain't gonna get much cooling effect. I would wrap that pipe with some of that muffler repair tape, might make a big difference.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If that pipe with the P on it is exhaust and that close, it seems to me that is defeating the purpose of the cooler, with the heat off the road, you ain't gonna get much cooling effect. I would wrap that pipe with some of that muffler repair tape, might make a big difference.
I believe what you meant to say was header wrap, and I was thinking the same thing. I use that stuff all teh time when I have to run remote oil lines in close proximity to exhaust pipes, it really works for keeping the heat inside the pipe

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the fast coolers on my ZF for a couple of years now and I'm now curious about where I'm running for temp. Would be a good comparison.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...are those coolers smooth on the inside or do they have fins inside as well? If they are smooth that's decent amount of cooling going on. If they are finned inside I would have expected a further reduction in temps.

The inside is smooth.

I believe what you meant to say was header wrap, and I was thinking the same thing. I use that stuff all teh time when I have to run remote oil lines in close proximity to exhaust pipes, it really works for keeping the heat inside the pipe

The pipe with the 'P' on it is the passenger side Hypermax up-pipe. I had both up-pipes coated with a ceramic exhaust coating, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to wrap 'em both with header wrap.