wvo in idi

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I think I have a batch of oil ready, I let it sit in a barrel a week or so, prefiltered it with a sheet, bought a 100 micron sock filter and a 5 micron sock filter from Mcmaster carr. 5 Micron should be fine since I will be mixing it with diesel and not heating it?I may run the oil one or two more times through the filters.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I missed this thread on the first go around. I love it when people that work for bio diesel places say you can't run straight WVO or that it has to be heated etc. Gimme a break, my dads '01 24 valve has just under 400k on it now and it's been running 100% WVO in the late spring into early fall for the last 300k or so. The only issues he's ever has was when he ran liquefied chicken fat at 50* it jelled on him bad. Other than that he just changes the filter every few tanks when it starts to clog up and that's it. I'm building a mass WVO filtering setup at his place this summer so we'll both be set for free. :D

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i made a 2200 mile round trip towing my camper last fall using a 50/50 blend and had no heater. it ran fine, but it would smoke a good bit under heavy load pulling hills. i had to back out of it a good bit to keep it from puking out the smoke. i then made my own heat exchanger using coolant and mounted it right before the filter. made another 1200 mile trip towing a vehicle both ways. i was using my same 50/50 mix. what a difference heating the fuel made!! i could screw into it something fierce and hardly any smoke!! i could tell it was running much better and cleaner! theres some nice plate heat exchangers on ebay for like $70 IIRC. would help you out and its cheap. just my observations. i also just completed my first 1000 mile trip running 100% wvo! nothin like taking the family to the beach for free!!!

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
There a post on here with a link to video using neon light ballasts for filtration with WMO I am thinking it may give them same result for WVO Ifg someone could post the link again that may be helpful perhaps on this little topic.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done work in a small bio-diesel plant WVO and diesel do not mix they will separate, Diesel is not a co solvent for veggie oil.... don't believe me get some diesel and cooling oil from your kitchen, pour it in a jam jar and shake about. come back in a few ours or the next day and take a look.

Also i would not run WVO because it will coke up your engine and cause damage

I don't know about the coking, and still need to learn about that question (ears are wide open) but I don't get the "separation" concept at all. I have never seen two straight hydrocarbons of even vaguely similar viscosity that will not mix and stay that way for a long, long time. If you had veggie oil that had a lot of water suspended in it, you might get some funky effects upon introducing something else, but that's another story- and you're really want to get that water out - <I'd think> - before running it through the IP and injectors anyways.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect timing on this thread, since I would really like to run at least part WVO in my 89 non turbo IDI. WVO is hard to get near me because I live in an area with a small population, and of the folks that are here, fewer than normal dine on fried food, and there's also an organic farmer in the area who goes through over 3000 gallons a year of WVO that he makes into biodiesel to run in his greenhouses' oil burners- which means that there is a lot more demand around here than in most places, relative to population.

I do seem to have a lead on some good WVO from a quality ethnic restaurant, and would really like to run it in my IDI, but like a lot of the rest of you, I cannot make it fly if I have to advance $$$$ to save $$, nor can I turn the yard, barn, or cellar into a total oily mess. Given the unusual difficulty of getting WVO here, or the fact that the grease tycoons might move in on whoever I try to line up, I just can't justify any big time or money that might end up as a stranded project.

The smartest idea that I have heard yet came from a guy I knew who'd converted his oil furnace to run on WVO (this involved preheating and use of a special nozzle that used compressed air in addition to the pumped oil, so that it'd atomize even the thick oil); he would bring home the oil in 5 gallon pails and then had a set up where they'd go in his laundry room with a very slow siphon tube that led to the bottom of a 55 gallon drum in his cellar, which sat on a small stand so that it was off the floor. I think he said that he had a 40 watt wrap type heater (or maybe it was heat tape) wrapped around the barrel so that it would stay warmer than cellar temperature, and the whole thing was in an insulated box. As the newly arrived oil went into the bottom of the big drum, other oil that had collectively been sitting a long time would very slowly rise to the top, where it would go out a spout on the side of the barrel not too far from the top (it was set up low enough from the top that the barrel would not overflow over the top of the barrel even if the spout clogged). By doing this, at least as he explained it to me, the big barrel was almost always settling out water and any particles, and was never getting mixed around by the introduction of the new oil. Once in a while he'd drain off the bottom of the big barrel so that he could remove accumulated water and particles. From what he told me, this worked well enough that he could do some really minor filtering and then run the oil straight through one last fine filter prior to his oil burner on the boiler, as well as a car that he ran on SVO with very few mods to the car. He's deceased now, but worked in the part of Brookhaven Nat'l lab that focused on oil-fired heating technologies, so he knew what he was doing.

Last edited:

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is always a dark amber even after thorough filtration.

I've been told that this color change is the result of some form of oxidation, not any form of particulate contamination. Don't know if that is completely true, but it fits with what you report.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I dumped 10 gallons of WVO through a high quality t shirt and into my truck today. Runs great and it's free. Used engine oil and atf I'll put through a very fine 2 or 3 micron filter setup but with WVO pffft get the chunks out and burn it. :D

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I got a couple people wanting to give me WVO, one is Peanut oil, is this ok to use? Also another guy who has about 20 gallons for me, still not sure what type it is, gotta call him in a few.

There is also a guy in Frankfort Ky which is 1.5 hours away one way! Anyways the guy is selling WVO for $1.25 a gallon, already filtered, and dewatered. You think it wouldn't be worth my time to go down and fill a barrel or two up?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
At that price I'd already be enroute.. The diesel engine was designed to burn peanut oil so hell yea it'll work, it'll be like running hi test in a 60's muscle car...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online