wvo in idi

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you put a heater on your system if you run 75diesel 25 wvo you will be heating your diesel and will wind up with a frothing condition. If you go 25 diesel 75 wvo you mite get away with it. In So Fl I run 20diesel /80wvo filtered to 1 micron with no heat on my mercedes's. On my f350 7.3 IDI I do have 2 tanks and intend to run straight wvo once I break in the engine. On that setup I will not be blending. If I was going to blend on the 7.3 I would go 50/50 as a starting point.

not saying he's wrong, but i have never heard of frothing in line using an aluminum heat exchanger. I'm sorry there is some back and forth on these ideas but us WVO folks are fickle. lol

what we can all agree on is WVO at outside temps is thicker than diesel. heating and blending are both ways to mitigate that.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating the use of wvo in my truck again since seeing this thread. I did it once, and someone somewhere yelled at me, and got me scared to run it. After reading this stuff, maybe I'll go for it again. I was told it would separate, etc., and clog up my system. I freaked out, I guess, and went and got a new fuel filter and jug of diesel kleen. Of course, I've never run into an issue, so I attributed it to my stopping the use of wvo, and running a new filter, etc.. After seeing this thread here, I guess it really won't hurt me to run it, mixed with the diesel as I had been doing before.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
My tanks are 19 gallons right? How many gallons would it be if doing the 80/20 mix. I am going to pick up filters before I do anything with it. Does it need to be filtered once or more. I know not to heat it then filter it because it thins the fat down and clogs you up.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a Frybid circular HE with a oem ford filter in the middle. This past summer I witnessed my diesel froth to such a point that I developed air in the line. It was only when I disconnected the HE and ran the second tank with no heat that I managed to get home. I have separate systems in my truck with each to his own filter and one HE for use when IO go with WVO. I have my coolant blocked off with shutoffs that will allow me to switch between heat to the truck heat to the wvo and no heat for the A/C.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I have done work in a small bio-diesel plant WVO and diesel do not mix they will separate, Diesel is not a co solvent for veggie oil.... don't believe me get some diesel and cooling oil from your kitchen, pour it in a jam jar and shake about. come back in a few ours or the next day and take a look.

Also i would not run WVO because it will coke up your engine and cause damage

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tanks are 19 gallons right? How many gallons would it be if doing the 80/20 mix. I am going to pick up filters before I do anything with it. Does it need to be filtered once or more. I know not to heat it then filter it because it thins the fat down and clogs you up.

19 x .8 = 15.2 . So 80% of your 19 gallon tank is 15.2 gallons.
Your right if your blending into an unheated tank you don't want to heat your oil to filter it , if done right cold filtering will remove the animal fats and Partially hydrogenated oil. If you filter at your lowest average temperature for your area then your oil that is liquid when filtering should stay liquid while in your tank.;Sweet

Heres a link to the best cold filter setup hat I have come across. I have something similar but I heat mine since I want to burn animal fat and PHO.
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9630

There are so many opinions on this one so I'll give a couple of mine, I believe veggie oil heated to 150 + degrees before injection will not cause coking which leads to engine damage.

Curbill,I really dont think that a heat exchanger would cause diesel to froth I really think you had an air leak that you fixed when you messed with your heat exchanger, thats my opinion. Fact of the matter is that a stock IDI ford under normal summertime operating conditions will see diesel temps well over 150f before the IP on a long drive and this is normal.

nate

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree diesel does not froth... how do I know? because the diesel is at block temperature, 194 degrees in a warmed up engine, when it hits the indirect chamber before injection. It is the beauty of the IDI and why it tolerates burning almost anything.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I think I am going to prefilter with bedsheets, but still need to know how to setup the final filtering system. I dont want to spend much on it since Im not sure if I will keep up with this or not but I just want to give it a try first. I should be getting my first things of WVO tomorrow or Tuesday. Should I let it sit a while, or could I go ahead and prefilter it all.

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mite want to think this over. I started with dungarees and sheets. If you do not want to get yourself upset you mite want to look into other methods of filtering. I use sock filters that I purchase off ebay. I use a 50micron stuffed into a 25 micron stuffed into a 10 micron stuffed into a 1 micron. I manage only 3000 miles on my filters before I change them. I let my oil settle for at least a week. I heat it and pump off the top of my drum into my sock filters. If you are going to do a 2 tank setup you will want the oil heated before you hit your filter. What I am saying is that if you do not get involved you will be disapointed in your results. This is a great site for Ford users but there are other sites that are much more involved with WVO. I have close to 90,000 miles on wvo with 4 different mercedes and one F350 diesel 7.3 IDI non turbo. Good luck

sassyrel

Reaction score
Wvo can be mixed with diesel all day long and will not separate. You do not have to change hoses with wvo. You do have to change hoses with bio. You only have to heat wvo when you want to run it unblended. I have been blending for 7 years and in So Fl blending is the norm. When winter comes I just stop blending and go straight diesel. My 3 mercedes have a total of about85,000 miles on blended wvo. I have not started to burn wvo in my F350 as I do not have 4,000 miles on the rebuild.

x's 2

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have done work in a small bio-diesel plant WVO and diesel do not mix they will separate, Diesel is not a co solvent for veggie oil.... don't believe me get some diesel and cooling oil from your kitchen, pour it in a jam jar and shake about. come back in a few ours or the next day and take a look.

aint seen it happen yet---in 5 YEARS of doing it------

sassyrel

Reaction score

really???!!!! experience speaking here????

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive mixed wvo and diesel in mason jars to see what the freeze/jell point was..and months of them sitting didnt cause any sepperation..but at 20* it wasnt very happy at the 50%..20% wasnt thrilled..but still flowed..

I filter mine down to 5mic as the fuel filter is ony 8-10mic...the PROBLEM I ran into is this..the WVO will clean your fuel tanks!!..and mine were FILTHY...so it got caught in the filter..and there it stayed!!..so I went thru alof of filters till the tanks were clean...

Ive run up-to a 75%WVO in the summer months with no heat..no problem!! (smells better that USLD too!!)

I changed my lines over just in case (all the rubber on the van was shot anyway)...

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to prefilter with bedsheets, but still need to know how to setup the final filtering system. I dont want to spend much on it since Im not sure if I will keep up with this or not but I just want to give it a try first. I should be getting my first things of WVO tomorrow or Tuesday. Should I let it sit a while, or could I go ahead and prefilter it all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46698462@N02/4576056512/