wvo in idi

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mechanical lift pump. i might someday switch to a carrier pump, but i may just keep using the mechanical pumps. They are reliable and seem to pull the WVO without issue.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got about 20 gallons of peanut oil now. Can this be mixed with canola oil or must it be ran separately?

mixing hydrocarbons almost always works. diesel, motor oil, canola oil, peanut oil, mustard seed oil it all blends fine.

vasmi

Reaction score
Filter to 2micron thru sock filter and heat properly with temp sensor before ip. I have been running oil in my 89 idi for about 30000 miles no issues. Changed stock filter with a wix unit, filters are cheaper. If you don't know if there water in it, use turkey fryer and heat oil to burn water.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mechanical lift pump. i might someday switch to a carrier pump, but i may just keep using the mechanical pumps. They are reliable and seem to pull the WVO without issue.

Have you changed any parts of the fuel system- such as any of the hoses? Some people who claim to be experts (I'm always skeptical of people who claim to be sure/ know everything, as they're the ones who don't ask the things by which they might have learned...) say that the veg oil will somehow degrade the rubber or the internal seals on the lift pump or IP.

And do you heat the oil in your application?

Also, can you remind us which filter you use before the truck and in the truck? People have mentioned so many different types of filters that I forget if you've told us what yours are and how/ why you use those types.

Thanks

Last edited:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Have you changed any parts of the fuel system- such as any of the hoses? Some people who claim to be experts (I'm always skeptical of people who claim to be sure/ know everything, as they're the ones who don't ask the things by which they might have learned...) say that the veg oil will somehow degrade the rubber or the internal seals on the lift pump or IP.

And do you heat the oil in your application?

Thanks

your right! veggi oil and bio diesel have no corrosive/solvent capabilities at all :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your right! veggi oil and bio diesel have no corrosive/solvent capabilities at all :rolleyes:

A lot depends on whether someone is reporting something first hand or whether they're passing along what they heard or generalized from somewhere or something else.

I completely get it- no doubt about it- that straight Biodiesel can be an extremely powerful solvent of many things (including things that neither oil or veg oil would attack as aggressively, or at all)-- that's a given and I think we all know and have known that prior to this thread

-- but I also gather from what some people have reported based on their own first-hand experience that some of the things that biodiesel aggressively dissolves are _not_ dissolved by plain un-processed vegetable oil _if_ the veg oil has not been put into/through the transesterification process (which is what changes it into biodiesel) that involves reacting the oil, at high temperature, with methoxide (which was made with lye + methanol)

So- what/ which position are you taking- that plain WVO, such as used fryer oil, is a strong solvent and that it dissolves all of the same things as Biodiesel, and just as aggressively?

Last edited:

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Not saying fryer oil is as strong as bio fuel but it will slowly dissolve natural rubber over time. bio fuel will do it allot quicker though and when you have natural rubber in pumps or IPs or even transfer pumps it makes for a bad combination.

no need to enplane how the bio-diesel reaction works, i have built machines that get-er-done ;p

pics for the rest of the class of an example

just me and my Buddie (co worker at the time built)

empty can with the diesel boiler on the left for heating oil and the methoxide and acid pre-treat tank on the right.

acid reactor in the back and the wiring and control panel installed

basic heat exchangers for heating the vegie oil

dosing pumps on the bottom stainless diaphragm transfer pump on top

me wiring ;p now ya know what i look like ;Really

control panels

centrifuge for the fuel after the reaction and settling.. and 2 diaphragm pups for transferring

one of the two base reactors

and the dosing pump controlls

i wish i had pics of it complete but they were on my friends GFs camra and she lost them :dunno

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen no evidence of an corrosive potential of straight vegetable oil. Biodiesel is a different animal all together. Remember making biodiesel is changing the chemical structure of SVO, creating a new ester. Not just a mixture including svo. I even have a small section of rubber hose in my veggie tank. It's been there for 30k miles and show no signs of being worse for the wear. I am not saying there is "no" reaction, but if there is one i believe it is slow enough to be a null factor.

I use three or four whole house water filters in line to clean my oil from http://www.micronfiltercartridges.com/ and a fleetguard fuel filter for the veggie in the truck just before the lift pump.

I have a heated oil system. I have a copper coil in the tank and a hose in hose system that uses engine coolant to bring the oil up to a usable temp.

Cutting the oil with diesel obviously works, just be careful. SVO at 160degrees has a viscosity similar to diesel at 15. At room temp it's much thicker than any diesel. I don't have a formula for mixing just keep ambient temps in mind and error on the side of safety.

I personally would always heat any oil or oil mix at least a little. I love my truck and try and treat it nice lol. A member here makes a really simple unit that would be a nice quick add on to heat the oil http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39162&highlight=fuel+heater Just wrap that thing in some insulation when you install it. Call it a additional safety measure.

that my .02 on this from my experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online