wvo in idi

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I would recommend, see what your oil titrates out to from your gf's work place. Taco Bell is not known for especially nice clean oil. I'd probably have to huste to even make good biodiesel out of it. Now, I am a biodiesel not a WVO guy so I am not going to advise you on if t will work or not, but I will advise that you need to have a very good source of oil to get away with WVO unless you go to the trouble to do something about the acid content. Most people that have been happy with a WVO system have run very clean oil, very good filtration, and were burning it in something that did not have a rotary distrubutor type IP like the DB2. That having been said, some people here have had good success with WVO and all sorts of fuel cocktails, maybe less trouble than I've had with my B100 setup, especially while I was learning. You must keep in mind that if this was easy everyone would be doing it and WVO would be expensive. WVO and biodiesel require you to get your hands dirty and learn the workings of your fuel system. I also think that if the majority of your driving is longer trips working the engine a bit harder, and especially if you also heat or blend the oil, you'll have way better results than somebody who has a short commute. Higher egts are going to be your friend so long as they don't reach damaging levels. WVO needs to get a lot hotter than diesel or even bio to burn completely. I expect you'll get a titration of 5ml/L or higher with NaOH catalyst using standard WVO and biodiesel testing methods. At this point you're going to have to either treat the oil, make biodiesel from it or just pass on it BUT do the test! I could be way off base and their oil may be really nice after some settling and filtering.

jasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about 1000 miles into my RV conversion (7.3 IDI). I have had no problems. I have about $1600 into my system and another $400 into a filtration setup that I built. Payoff for me will be about a year.

The system I am running is a 2-tank system and I run straight veg, but only when engine is up to temp. Components are:

tank (poly boat tank, diesel rated)
heated tank pick-up (Hot Fox)
heat exchanger
heated filter housing
2 electric valves (one for feed one for return)
Veg therm
Electric pump (makes purging system tons easier)
switches, misc electrical, and lots of rubber fuel hose. I think I have about 125 feet of hose in my system between coolant lines and fuel lines.

I spent a lot of money to make sure the oil is heated properly so it doesn't coke the engine. Was it overkill, probably, but better safe than sorry. I also have two complete fuel systems. One for diesel and one for Veg. That way if the veg filter clogs I switch to diesel and keep driving until I feel like replacing it. Being late for work or changing filters on the side of the highway in the rain because your diesel filter clogged would not be fun.

I also am selective with the oil that I collect. I have a source that gives me 20 gallons of super clean oil every week. I filter it using a frybrid still that I built and make sure that my oil is filtered down to 5 microns and properly dewaterd. http://www.frybrid.com/filtration.htm

Also be careful collecting oil from unknown sources. Some places use chemicals to clean there fryers and then just dump that in with the waste oil. You can't separate out these corrosive chemicals without very expensive techniques and they will cause premature death to your engine.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Ive mixed wvo and diesel in mason jars to see what the freeze/jell point was..and months of them sitting didnt cause any sepperation..but at 20* it wasnt very happy at the 50%..20% wasnt thrilled..but still flowed..

I filter mine down to 5mic as the fuel filter is ony 8-10mic...the PROBLEM I ran into is this..the WVO will clean your fuel tanks!!..and mine were FILTHY...so it got caught in the filter..and there it stayed!!..so I went thru alof of filters till the tanks were clean...

Ive run up-to a 75%WVO in the summer months with no heat..no problem!! (smells better that USLD too!!)

I changed my lines over just in case (all the rubber on the van was shot anyway)...

fac fuel filters on fords are rated at 5 microns--

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Well I got about 5 gallons in a jug, Its going to sit for a week, didn't really see any particals in it, its kinda dark golden color. While I am waiting I am going to pick me up some sock filters. I hope it turns out ok. Would pouring it from one jug to another through filters work or do I need that setup in the link?

jasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got about 5 gallons in a jug, Its going to sit for a week, didn't really see any particals in it, its kinda dark golden color. While I am waiting I am going to pick me up some sock filters. I hope it turns out ok. Would pouring it from one jug to another through filters work or do I need that setup in the link?

You can only see down to about 100 microns. There is now way you will be able to tell if it is clean to 5 micron without filtering it. There are multiple methods for filtering WVO. Spend some time on the Frybrid filtration forum and decide for yourself what the cost, benefit, and risk of each setup.

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Mat

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can only see down to about 100 microns. There is now way you will be able to tell if it is clean to 5 micron without filtering it. There are multiple methods for filtering WVO. Spend some time on the Frybrid filtration forum and decide for yourself what the cost, benefit, and risk of each setup.

http://www.frybrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Mat

True, you can only see to 100 microns but you are not seeing the suspended particles when you look at the oil, you are seeing the scattered light. Dirty oil is not crystal clear. Somebody said it clearly above heat is your friend! Also high RPMs are your friend (lots of fuel circulating). I use only the very cleanest oil (expensive restaurants are best), settle it for > 3 months (gravity is your best friend, it is free and saves filters), and filter to 1 micron. It is cleaner than pump fuel. And yes, you have to work at it, there is no free lunch. Same as anything. How much does your IDI cost you per year if you paid yourself $50 per hour?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
let it settle in those jugs then pump off the top in to another jug or filter it. I'll get pictures of mine for ya....

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow Jim that is some overkill you got going there lol. I let my oil settle for at least 24hrs lol pump through some whole house filters down to 1 micron and let sit in one of three 50 gallon drums until i need to use it. I wouldn't worry about pumping it straight into the tank after 24 hours heated and filtered. To each his own though of course.

to the OP if your oil look translucent in a jug then it's probably pretty decent oil. Still filter to 5 micron or less through a sock filter is fine, and pretty cheap. You can pour just avoid pouring the bottom couple inches and be careful not to stir it up when pouring. Oh and once everything is settled make sure to check the bottom of the jug for collected water. Be careful not to let that out of the jug when you pour. Guys go way overboard worrying about water in the oil. Thinking things like 300 parts per million is gonna rust out your internals and thats absolute hogwash. Just make sure you don't let any bulk water into your tank and you're fine.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally do my first pour and dont use the bottom of the jugs/barrel..it gets mixed up with a little diesel/gas for starting campfires/bonfires or sprayin the weeds in the driveway...

I filter to 5...let it settle for a few days..then just pour the top (down to about an inch of the bottom if it looks murky...all of it if it looks clean!)...

I just ordered 5 sock filters 5micron for $6 shipped to the house..so they are cheap..and work very well...

Im currently just running it from one 5gal bucket to another while watchin tv/surfin the net in the garage..but I used to pump from one 55gal to the other with a household sump-pump with the sock filters zip tied on the end of the hose..it was kinda messy.,,but cardboard and 2hrs and I have enough fuel for over a MONTH...;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have seen water issues (water in fuel light) with some oil I have used. but I wait a week or 2 before i pump of the top part of the jugs and now I don't see any problems......

Here are some of my pictures, I have changed things a little......

Attachments

• oil.JPG
    oil.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 12
  • oiltoo.JPG
    oiltoo.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 102.jpg
    Picture 102.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen water issues (water in fuel light) with some oil I have used. but I wait a week or 2 before i pump of the top part of the jugs and now I don't see any problems......

Here are some of my pictures, I have changed things a little......

you are my hero...I NEVER thought about laying the plastic barrels on their side....I have a available free supply of these but often forget when I need metal ones and always seem to run out...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
you are my hero...I NEVER thought about laying the plastic barrels on their side....I have a available free supply of these but often forget when I need metal ones and always seem to run out...

You like that, I've moved it and made some changes.... Just got my camera working I'll take some new pictures. it was easy to cut the hole with a sharp razor knife, the bag fits in tight and works well. The bung is not right on the bottom so it helps to settle it even more.....:sly

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow Jim that is some overkill you got going there lol. I let my oil settle for at least 24hrs lol pump through some whole house filters down to 1 micron and let sit in one of three 50 gallon drums until i need to use it. I wouldn't worry about pumping it straight into the tank after 24 hours heated and filtered. To each his own though of course.

to the OP if your oil look translucent in a jug then it's probably pretty decent oil. Still filter to 5 micron or less through a sock filter is fine, and pretty cheap. You can pour just avoid pouring the bottom couple inches and be careful not to stir it up when pouring. Oh and once everything is settled make sure to check the bottom of the jug for collected water. Be careful not to let that out of the jug when you pour. Guys go way overboard worrying about water in the oil. Thinking things like 300 parts per million is gonna rust out your internals and thats absolute hogwash. Just make sure you don't let any bulk water into your tank and you're fine.

I agree with you, I would never worry about filtering it after a short settling time and using it, and water is never an issue. The long settle times make the filtering go faster and the filters last longer. It also means I have a pipeline of oil in strategic reserve.
PS The sitting in drums until you use it counts as additional settling. If you do not pump the very bottom of the drum I bet you can eventually see some junk collect there, depending on how long it sits before use. Better to collect there than in your truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle