wmo questions

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I was starting to question the accuracy of the information I have. From the sounds of it they SHOULD be getting paid for the stuff, and I kinda wonder if they are. Im gonna try to get some all the same and see how well it runs. Gotta try to get the cost down on the fuel bill.

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running my truck on 100% WMO 95% of the time with no issues so far. I've logged about 2,000 miles so far. I prefilter down to 1 micron and dump it in. At night I plug the block heater in to keep the truck warm and start in the morning on the WMO. If I'm going to shut it off over 4-5 hours away from home I switch to diesel about 15 minutes before shutdown to clear the lines.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
not to be talking crazy here.....

why dont' you northerners get a waste oil heater and heat your house/shop/interplanetary shuttle/barn/penthouse and buy diesel for your truck?

more importantly, why doesn't that ford dealer do it?

not that I have any problems with wmo. althought i think water injection from time to time would be nice.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
actually the shop does have a waste oil burner to heat the shop in the winter. It (apparently) doesnt get that cold here in portland though. We fill a 500 gallon tank in a month or so and its only cold for 4 months or so. also when you have 13 bays, 5 trucks are inside running at any given time and that puts out a decent amount of btu's in and of itself.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Is there any special modification to do to a engine to run it on wmo? The guy I got my first truck from tried to run it on pure used vegetable oil and the results weren't good for the engine... That's why I got it so cheap with a blown motor.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Over here in Bend OR, we get down to and below 0 at night and rarely above 48 during the day through the winter months, so I think I might want to just stay with diesel so that I don't get myself into a bad situation.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K_williams... do you have dual tanks???? If so run 100% #2 in one tank to start up on and shut down on. Run the 50/50 mix in the rear tank... In the colder months, I will start up on #2... run until operating temp, then switch over to rear tank with 50/50. About 5 miles before destination, I will switch back to front tank. No issues with startups. I live in Gaston... So we do get colder than Portland/Beaverton

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
My dad is a heavy diesel mechanic and he's always claimed that pouring 1/4 quart of ATF in with a tank of diesel will clean the injectors and get rid of any build-up in the ip.

What is up with the K&N filter? I have one installed now, and wondering if I should be watching for any problems with it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My dad is a heavy diesel mechanic and he's always claimed that pouring 1/4 quart of ATF in with a tank of diesel will clean the injectors and get rid of any build-up in the ip.

What is up with the K&N filter? I have one installed now, and wondering if I should be watching for any problems with it.

Some say that K&N filters only flow more because they let more particles through. Some have said it has "dusted" their turbo over time. I dont know if its true or not, but I've heard enough people say it both on here and in my life to steer clear of them.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've spoken to many folks over the years about K&N and the overwhelming consensus is that people who have had trouble with the filters are simply not doing the right things with them. Like over oiling them, not cleaning them regularly enough and things like that.

I've spoken to mechs, car parts folks that don't even sell them and many end users. If folks don;t want to do the maintenance required they should use paper tossers is what they say.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
so basically all I need to do is bring a few gallons home, filter it down, mix with diesel and run it. Keep uping the wmo in the ratio till i get "undesireable" results and then back it off to the last ratio. Im thinking of getting a fuel filter assembly off a 6 liter (as I can likely find one at the shop for free) and use that to filter till I can afford the cat filter set up. At least that will get me up and running. How often do you change out your fuel filters running 50% and 100% wmo?

here is another option getting 2 filter heads from fleet guard u can probably get them from any big truck dealership the dealer ship that u work at might be able to get fleet gaurd stuff
any way the filters that im using are 10 and 2 micron that are cat filters the heads are really cheep to so if anybody wants part numbers PM me and ill gladly give them to yall

Attachments

• IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    IMGP0814_resize.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 14

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
As for the "k&N" filters PLEASE DONT USE THEM!!!! I have only worked at the dealership a month and I have already seen more than a dozen turbos replaced (at owners expense mind you) due directly to aftermarket filters. These arent just new 6.0's and 6.4's either most are on powerjoke 7.3's. They let through fine grit and sand that trashes the intake impeller and destroys the housing and seals. You might gain 10hp but is it worth a new turbo every year or so?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online