Prechamber coaking due to WMO

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just got back from knoxvill tn frome there to here it is 4 hours i had a 50 50 mix the oil was 15-40 rotella i had to clean the injectores when i got there and now i am going to have to clean them again do yall have any answers
more info needed.
mileage on your truck.
mileage on fuel system.
amount of filtration on WMO.
how are you "cleaning" the injectors?

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Scary stuff. I'll pull a couple of injectors at work in the morning and let you guys know what I find. I've been running 100% for the last 2K and after reading this thread, it makes me concerned because I'm seeing more smoke than normal.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I notice a fair amount of black smoke while running WMO at about 50% or more but when I switch to the tank that is 75% diesel the smoke almost gone. Sounds like your engine is worn or the injectors are toast. I run 15w-40 Shell pretty much exclusive for my WMO, no issues so far but I'm running a light mixture. I'm just trying to keep my fuel bill at or under $200 per month so I just run enough WMO to accomplish that.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice a fair amount of black smoke while running WMO at about 50% or more but when I switch to the tank that is 75% diesel the smoke almost gone. Sounds like your engine is worn or the injectors are toast. I run 15w-40 Shell pretty much exclusive for my WMO, no issues so far but I'm running a light mixture. I'm just trying to keep my fuel bill at or under $200 per month so I just run enough WMO to accomplish that.

I thought that I might have some blow-by as well, but I only use about a quart of oil every 3K. We'll see about the injectors in the morning...

Last edited:

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the milage on the truck is 278 gs i filter the oil twice it is filtered down to 10 m then is put in the truck the tips of the injectores have carbon on them and it keeps them from spraying i clean them of with a knife and then it will run fine for 200 m and then i have to do it again i think my injectores are weak

92 dodge 12v 4 wheel drive

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the way i know they need cleaning is when it starts smoking alot normaly it does not smoke at all when i first clean them

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody thought about what the carbon is doing to the valves? I've seen gassers that burned oil pretty bad have valve issues at work. Has anyone ever experienced this with a diesel? I would think that the valve springs on our trucks is higher than a gasser, will it compensate?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem is cleaning the injector tip is only part of the problem. the whole prechamber is prolly all coked up too. I'm not familiar enough with the service limits of the !st gen 5.9, but on the IH idi, 150k is the normal service limit. So yours with 278k, it's prolly due for injectors.

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks towcat for the info i think the injectores are tost and it has lost the presure it needs

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what causes coking in the chambers
couple of things. one is contaminants in the oil, the other is no hot enough of a burn. It's a given that coking will happen, clearing it out regularly is a must. that's the job of additives or steam.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting, i just got back from vacation running %100 down and back. i started and shut down on a diesel mix though. for running straight i run my oil through a plate heat exchanger and seperate filter i just set up. sure was nice diving the 800mi trip on free fuel though.

if i can get some time i would like to pull my injectors to take a peek now to. i know my system is worn and was reccomended to be replaced a couple of years ago. i figured i dont have much to loose running WMO through a shot system to begin with.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got some pictures of 3 of my injectors. I've been running 100% WMO for the past 2 months and 2500 miles. The past tank ran through it was about 80% trans fluid though. If the injectors are this clean, does that indicate that the cylinder/valve seat will also be the same?

Oh yea, these are injectors from the 2, 4, and 5th holes.

Attachments

• injector 1.jpg
    injector 1.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 47
  • injector 2.jpg
    injector 2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz