wmo questions

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before but I have a few questions on running wmo.

I work for a ford dealer and just realized we are paying money to dispose of used motor oil and there is a 500+ gallon tank that the shop would be happy for me to take as much as I wanted.

That in mind, what is the thesis for running wmo? I have heard that all you need to do is start on petroleum diesel (or bio if its available) and once the engine is at operating temp switch to wmo thats filtered to a minimum of 1 micron. If thats the case Im gonna get a few 1 micron or less filters and try it.

Is one oil better than another? I have access to 5/20 gasoline oil, 15/40 diesel oil (black and sootyLOL ), transmission fluid, or a mixture of all of them. The tank I mentioned is all three, but the guys said if I put buckets out they would fill them with whatever I asked them to.

Please let me know. I would love to save on fuel costs and this would allow me to run for free as long as Im within 300 miles of work!

thanx in advance,
punkmechanic

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I myself have actually started my truck on 100% wmo but that can be a bit smoky. If I were you I'd take all that I can get because things will only get worse over time as dino resources are getting more scarce( or so the petro companies claim). I hear ATF may be best but all can be burned, mixed, etc.
If you can get some 55 gal drums from work too for your home storage or raid a jiffy lube after hours. In Reno there are 2 waste oil companies and they were paying 33 cents a gal 6 weeks ago so I had to up to 50 cents a gal when I needed a bunch quick. So I think you are a lucky dawg.
Also maybe you can get a centrifuge or two from work that may need a bearing to get them working again or something. They would make even better filtration systems for your wmo as in thay can remove some soot from the oil in addition to removing dirt and metal.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I filter used 15-40 to 2 micron with CAT fuel filters and mix it in my tanks, about 30% mix....Works good and keeps my fuel bill under $200/month.....I won't be burning it in the winter until I get some kind of heater geared up as I only have a 20KM drive to work.

discbrks

Reaction score
You'll just have to experiment with your truck to see what works best. I'm sure you have dual tanks. I keep ONLY #2 diesel in the front tank as by fail-safe. In the rear tank, I started out with a 25% wmo / 75% diesel mix. Run that mix until the tank is empty, then move up to a 50/50 mix. That's where I'm at right now. As soon as this tank is empty I'll try a 70/30 mix. So far, the truck seems to have smoother power running on the 50/50. I've heard (but can't confirm yet) that these trucks really like a 70/30 mix and will even start up on that mix if the weather is warm.
I have heard that all you need to do is start on petroleum diesel (or bio if its available) and once the engine is at operating temp switch to wmo thats filtered
You shouldn't have to start up on straight diesel if your mix is 50/50, mine will start just fine.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well the problem I see with starting up on WMO or a mix of it is the fact that it could lead to buildup of carbon (or faster than if you were to switch it over to WMO after the truck is warmed up), because the truck doesnt have enough heat in the cylinders to completly ignite the fuel, so over time it would deposit carbon. Just my thinking.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the problem I see with starting up on WMO or a mix of it is the fact that it could lead to buildup of carbon (or faster than if you were to switch it over to WMO after the truck is warmed up), because the truck doesnt have enough heat in the cylinders to completly ignite the fuel, so over time it would deposit carbon. Just my thinking.

I dont want your head to swell Justin but I agree with your theory 100 percent.;Sweet :rotflmao

sassyrel

Reaction score
when i started to burn 100% wmo 7 years ago--i started on dsl, switched to wmo immed--and took off--meaning right up to accepted speed limit----so--------i had hot cylinder temps immed------:D :D and if it wouldnt have been for that rotten k&n --it would still be running----just have to get the other engine in------

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isn't the black exhaust simply the excess carbon being blown out? Wouldn't it be the same with WMO?

Nope, just unburnt diesel.

I've heard stories of if you get really high EGT's, I mean really high, and sustain them for long periods of time (not enough to melt pistons though), at night, sometimes people will be able to see sparks coming out I guess, which would be carbon being blown out. I dont know if its true or not though.

sassyrel

Reaction score
orrrrrrrrr---excess unburnt wmo----as when you run 100% wmo--no dsl---black smoke is unburnt wmo-------been there---

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I was under the impression that diesel WMO is the least desireable due to the soot. Any truth to that? I got a couple buddies keeping their motor oil for the day I get a filtration system....

Thad

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
so basically all I need to do is bring a few gallons home, filter it down, mix with diesel and run it. Keep uping the wmo in the ratio till i get "undesireable" results and then back it off to the last ratio. Im thinking of getting a fuel filter assembly off a 6 liter (as I can likely find one at the shop for free) and use that to filter till I can afford the cat filter set up. At least that will get me up and running. How often do you change out your fuel filters running 50% and 100% wmo?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I am running pretty close to 100% WMO. While I have a shop, I get my oil from my buddy's transmission shop. It's probably 90% or better transmission fluid. Smoke is not too bad, mostly under acceleration.

BTW, your employer should not have to pay for oil removal. It has enough value that companies will pick up and pay for it in large enough quantities.