Which coolant to buy all I see is ELC

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green coolant (must be low silicate) uses DCA-4 additive, which is available from your Ford dealer as VC-8. Or you can use the pink pre-charged Fleet Charge coolant that comes with DCA-2 in it. Maintainance additives available where Freightliner chassis motor homes are sold.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool The fleet charge is available at my local Oreileys so I can go pick it up. As for teh test strips and maintenace additives, I will start looking for them.

Thank you for a clear answer. All this antifreeze stuff is a little confusing.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
X2 on Fleetcharge. thats what I use. Tractor supply and some NAPA stores have it. Napa has the test strips part no. 4107

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Final Charge is good ELC because it lacks the 2-EHA thats in dexcool and other extended life coolants. The 2-EHA is what eats certain gaskets.

Fleet Charge is also a good coolant. Ive been running it in my truck for 3 years now and it seems to be doing fine.

Peak long life coolant is basically the same thing as final charge but without the SCAs. So if your looking for some coolant for a gasser its a good option. Especially seeing as how the green stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

Prestones long life coolant and "all makes all models" coolant is a dexclone or copy of dexcool. I can tell you from first hand experience this stuff turns to a brown soup when used in an unsealed cooling system. Id recommend to stay clear of the stuff unless your using it in something that calls for dexcool or has dexcool.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I buy My coolant from the IH dealer at $15 a jug and add distilled water to it 1 to 1 then the pre DCA-4 charged filter. I use the same stuff in all My old trucks.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Bringing up a old thread (I know..). I thought I'd leave my thoughts on coolant. I tried the Havoline ECL Orange Coolant, while it cools way better, it eats seals like mad, don't try it... Also bummed my water pump out the first week I had it in the system...

Prestone yellow antifreeze (I think it was ELC) doesn't eat seals but doesn't cool very well IMO.

NAPA's standard green antifreeze (non-ELC) with Bitterant is my choice, cools well, and doesn't eat seals, then I add NAPAs anti-rust compound and call it a day. After 2 yrs, check it with anti-freeze tester, add LiquidKool and rust inhibitor to the system, and call it good for another year.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read and read till my head almost popped! Ended up with "fleet charge" $14 NAPA sca's already in it no phosphate low silicate bla bla bla!
You must be registered for see images

Now I'm not going to even think about antifreeze for 3 yrs. ( I hope!)

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used 'Fleetrite Premium Antifreeze Coolant' Part# ZJJ996723A which I purchased at my local IH dealer.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dexclones will make your copper radiater and heater leak. It eats the solder. I can't speak for the final charge as I've never used it. Anybody using it in a copper rad or heater w/o problem's?

I work at a radiater shop and wont warranty a copper rad or heater if dex is put in it and it caused leaks.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read and read till my head almost popped! Ended up with "fleet charge" $14 NAPA sca's already in it no phosphate low silicate bla bla bla!
You must be registered for see images

Now I'm not going to even think about antifreeze for 3 yrs. ( I hope!)

good choice.............but,you didn't buy the 460,you bought the diesel.so there's more maintenance involved.
the sca's (though initially at correct levels when you buy that) will fall out and will require you to monitor them,and replenish as needed.
you can buy the test strips and pour in some liquid sca or add another coolant filter with sca's to bring them back up when needed..........or,simply run a penray need release coolant filter (after a couple blanks to clean the system) and the filter will monitor and release sca's as the system needs it.all you have to do is change out the filter every 15 months.it does the work for ya.the simplicity of running ELC,the safety of running what your engine calls for.;Sweet

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the filter, there's a good pair of ports to connect it, but it seems like overkill. In the rad is super clean, engine rebuilt 4 years ago.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running JD cool guard II. It's a low silicate antifreeze and it's readily available to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7