Which coolant to buy all I see is ELC

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I did find some PEAK coolant at Advance Auto Parts that sais it is ethalene glycol based and does not say Extended Life on it anywhere it also sais original green formula. I could not find any of the numbers on CLEITHAU stated but I assume it is the good old stuff.

Don't assume. A lot of green antifreeze wasn't low silicate. Can you find a web link which shows the product you bought?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
+1 on the cat extended life coolant i run it through a coolant filter and had no problems with the stuff
on our big truck that have been running cat elc since we got to them we has to inframe a couple of the trucks and there was not one pitted liner in four inframes that rite there sold me on the stuff and the **** probably never been changed but definatly serviced once inawhile

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If somebody could find a source for a SPECIFIC brand and part number of low silicate green antifreeze and post it, I'd be most appreciative.

I was looking for Fleetguard filters and found a part number for their regular old green ethylene glycol coolant. It's called "Fleetcool" and they even have recycled EG coolant called "Fleetcool Recycled"LOL You can get prediluted or concentrate and mix it yourself.

You order 275 gallon Tote (CC8965)LOL or get 6 one gallon bottles (CC8969)

They also have a "Heavy Duty EG" coolant, which says it is "low silicate." You can get 6 one gallon bottles (CC2551) of concentrate.

I found them HERE on pages 3 and 4.

Heath

Last edited:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
They also have a "Heavy Duty EG" coolant, which says it is "low silicate." You can get 6 one gallon bottles (CC2551) of concentrate.

Heath

ive priced that stuff out because i thought it was going to be cheaper than cat like $9 a gallon special pricing and the fleetgaurd stuff was like $22 a gallon:eek::eek::eek::dunnocookoo:puke: and thats with fleetgaurd special pricing:puke::puke:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking for Fleetguard filters and found a part number for their regular old green ethylene glycol coolant. It's called "Fleetcool" and they even have recycled EG coolant called "Fleetcool Recycled"LOL You can get prediluted or concentrate and mix it yourself.

You order 275 gallon Tote (CC8965)LOL or get 6 one gallon bottles (CC8969)

I found them HERE on pages 3 and 4.

Heath

Thanks Heath. If I understand their coding scheme correctly, that Fleetcool stuff is PINK. The EG is the green stuff, and that would be my pick. Now to find a place to buy it. ;)

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ive priced that stuff out because i thought it was going to be cheaper than cat like $9 a gallon special pricing and the fleetgaurd stuff was like $22 a gallon:eek::eek::eek::dunnocookoo:puke: and thats with fleetgaurd special pricing:puke::puke:

im sorry i was wrong on the $22 a gallon thing i was thinking the EG stuff was the EScomplete sorry guys

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a coolant flush and fill earlier this summer. Did some research and NAPA has Turbo Power brand pink (or purple, depending on the light) heavy duty diesel ethylene glycol coolant with SCA's, low silicate, blah blah blah...
has the following certifications:

* ASTM D-3306, D-4985, D-6210
* TMC RP 329B
* GM 1825M, 1899M
* Detroit Diesel 7SE298, 93K217

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score

WrecklesCustom

First Timer
Reaction score
I did a coolant flush and fill earlier this summer. Did some research and NAPA has Turbo Power brand pink (or purple, depending on the light) heavy duty diesel ethylene glycol coolant with SCA's, low silicate, blah blah blah...
has the following certifications:

* ASTM D-3306, D-4985, D-6210
* TMC RP 329B
* GM 1825M, 1899M
* Detroit Diesel 7SE298, 93K217

Sorry to pull up an old post but I am doing a coolant flush (hopefully a new radiator as well) and rather than asking I searched through the forums.

Questions:

What are SCA's (sorry if it is an obvious answer)
If I purchase the CAT coolant do I need to add SCAs
Where would I get said SCAs

Thanks!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sorry to pull up an old post but I am doing a coolant flush (hopefully a new radiator as well) and rather than asking I searched through the forums.

Questions:

What are SCA's (sorry if it is an obvious answer)
If I purchase the CAT coolant do I need to add SCAs
Where would I get said SCAs

Thanks!

SCA, supplimental coolant additive required for all diesel engines, it keeps bubbles from forming in the coolant along the cylinder liner during rapid expansion and contraction of the metal and that surface boiling leads to surface erosion or the cylinder liner and head gasket and eventually the metal cavitation can eat all the way through to the combustion chamber leaving you with a thousand pound trot line sinker. So you need to add SCAs to any coolant not labeled pre-charged. I do not know if the CAT coolant is pre charged or not, I know Cat sells a real good SCA that cannot be overcharged and does not require the use of test strips. Most SCA,s have to be carefully balanced in the system through the use of test strips.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
if it says cat ec-1 you are good to go, it already has sca/dca in it. i was actually able to find final charge global HD coolent at pep boys and it says right on the back meets cat ec-1 standards.

some people have said the elc coolents have caused leaking in the oil cooler but mine has been fine for 8 months.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

1994IDI

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a coolant flush this weekend as well. Can anyone vouch for the Final Charge? It looks like its the right stuff but I'm a little leary of the 600,000 mile interval, and that it's ELC. Just because everyone has said to stay away from it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is indeed an old thread, one that deserves an update. What I've learned in the years past is that we need to avoid OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolants which are not compatible with some of our rubber O-rings and such in our oil coolers. Perhaps metalic incompatabilities as well... I'm not sure. In any event, a lot of ELC coolants are OAT based. Many of us that ran green coolant have taken comfort in the Fleetcharge stuff sold at NAPA and other farm and home stores. It's Pink, but only because Green coolant never came with DCA-2 SCA's already in it. The Pink Fleetcharge is the old green coolant with SCA's already in it. You need to get test strips from a Freightliner dealer which are 2 way instead of the 3 way we used with the DCA-4 stuff.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So wahts the final verdict on the FINAL CHARGE/ Good to go , or avoid it? I need to flush the new truck,but I am really confused. I went to auto zone and advanced auto this morning adn left more confused than when I went in.

Someone help me out please. If i need to use green, I can but where do I get the SCA? I know my antifreeze needs to meet ASTM D-4985 and ASTM D-3306. But even with that info, Do I still need SCA?

I read thu the FAQ and now I am even more confused... I am still real new to the diseel scene. Sorry to be such a moron on this topic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online