Which coolant to buy all I see is ELC

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question. Before the IDI Weekend rally, I wanted to change out the coolant in the Moose Truck, which has the "good" green stuff in it, and probably is 8 years old, but maybe has 14,000 miles on it. It runs through a coolant filter, and looks brand new. I stopped at a farm supply place, and looked at all the bottles they had. NO GREEN stuff. The only thing I could find that looked like it would be OK, was yellow in color. I still have the 4 bottles I bought on the shelf. I don't believe there is a single new vehicle sold today that uses the green stuff. This is the same problem that we now have with the CJ API oils. What our trucks require is no longer readily availble. If somebody could find a source for a SPECIFIC brand and part number of low silicate green antifreeze and post it, I'd be most appreciative.

I went back and reread this thread. When I started using the JD coolant it was just what we stocked at the shop. So, being available and affordable through my employer, I just used it and didn't think much about it until I started to read some threads like this. Now, I know I'm mixing JD with IH, but you'll have to deal with it.

According to the info on the bottle this JD Cool Guard II is a low silicate, nitrite free, Tri-Organic hybrid coolant, and recommended for use in all John Deere engines. It is ethylene glycol based. 6 years/6000 hrs service interval

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online