Solid vs Elastomer Harmonic Balancer- Which is Better?

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Understanding just enough to get myself in trouble consistently, I'm hoping someone with a better understanding of all the competing harmonic imbalances can help clarify something.
I searching for a replacement balancer for a 7.3idi engine that I'm adding a modified 088 ATS turbo that is expected to deliver 300hp with the new injection pump rebuild and new injectors.
The stock ones have an elastomer in the center.
I've found a "solid" balancer that I assume has a fluid injected that performs the same task.
My understanding of the different types is that the solid ones are better for engines with higher than stock performance.
Considering I'm adding around 30% more power, would a solid one be better?
The lowest cost one I've found doesn't get into any detail other than to say it is solid.
Should I then assume it does in fact have something injected, or could it actually just be solid?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of the references on rockauto say "OE balancer solid". Maybe the stock balancer was solid.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Viscous will always be better than a solid ring rubber balancer. High horsepower diesels even have two of them.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the balancer differences, but I do know that 300hp is way more than 30% increase in power from stock. I don't recall the stock HP but I feel like it's around 175hp at the flywheel. If you're measuring the 300hp at the flywheel that's 71.4% more ponies! Yeah buddy!
:peelout

divemaster5734

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the balancer differences, but I do know that 300hp is way more than 30% increase in power from stock. I don't recall the stock HP but I feel like it's around 175hp at the flywheel. If you're measuring the 300hp at the flywheel that's 71.4% more ponies! Yeah buddy!
:peelout
Well, I've just demonstrated my prowess with a calculator to the entire planet..lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I believe 30% increase is only 221hp :smash: