Which is correct sleeve for 93 7.3 IDI harmonic damper seal?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We want a sleeve on the harmonic damper because the previous seal has worn a groove into it. The damper is 2.5" diameter, and we have the new seal SKF 24984 which is the correct size, but not the sleeve. NAPA said it would take weeks to get one. My local machine shop suggested Microsleeve Repair Sleeves from SilverSeal. They have a bunch of sleeves on their web site, but no application data listed for them.

So I turned to fleabay for a PIONEER Harmonic Balance Repair Sleeve HB-3124 but it's too small, just under 2" (the damper is 2.5"). Then I tried Amazon for a Fel-Pro 16256 Repair Sleeve, but it is about 3.25" diameter, way too big. Both fleabay and Amazon listed those parts for my 1993 7.3 damper, but both were wrong. Both wanted to know which tranny was in the truck, which tipped me off that they might be full of crap on the listing. The tranny is on the back, the damper on the front.

Has anybody bought a sleeve and can tell me the correct part number?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys nobody answered but I found the right one. Parts supply chain is messed up by the deadly cooties virus, so NAPA could not get me one. I was at a dead end with wrong parts from fleabay and amazon. One happened to fit the back crank seal and we needed that so it was a blessing. The other was wrong everywhere and I had to pay return postage.

The solution was to call SilverSeal on the phone. The guys are great, old school, and you just measure what you need and they ship it. Total cost with shipping was $22 so I bought a couple spares for the next time we do an IDI.

FYI

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No part number from silverseal? The one I got from the parts store years ago was the right OD, but the ID was a little small and I had to put the balancer in a lathe and cut just a tiny bit off for it to press on. I wonder if the one you get is going to press on properly or require a little machining?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726