whats the best oil to run in my 1988 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK i know this is is a bad idea what air filter? i must be CRAZY the voice in my head keeps telling me back away from keyboard and take meds
Buy the AMSOIL nano fibre air filter that captures dust and last 4 years or 100,000 miles, and you can buy it from the oilburners site sponsor http://www.madjackracing.com/
he will be glad to help you

Javier

Last edited:

swuchase1

Reaction score
Awsome, I always thought it looked similar to one of our hot air balloon chase trucks ;Sweet

Thats cool i would like to see the set you run on one of those may find some crossover ideas. i cant seam to get photos to upload always to big a file even with 1 photo and i have to ZIP that.

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
Valvoline Premium Blue® Engine Oil I have been using this since buying my first idi and have it on an oil anaylis program change the filter every 5k and the oil every 15k and every report i have gotten is awesome and the lab said with with what they are seeing in the filters i send them looks like the oil would go 20k i also put in 2 bottles of auto rx every time i change the oil and thats my 2 cents

swuchase1

Reaction score
Valvoline Premium Blue® Engine Oil I have been using this since buying my first idi and have it on an oil anaylis program change the filter every 5k and the oil every 15k and every report i have gotten is awesome and the lab said with with what they are seeing in the filters i send them looks like the oil would go 20k i also put in 2 bottles of auto rx every time i change the oil and thats my 2 cents

Ok I might get my oil changed now we are talking. where can i get Premium blue and what is auto RX and where can I get it. what filter?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great way to get your moneys worth, oil analysis will educate you and help you save money in many ways. One could feel real good about a scientific way to determine engine/oil condition, instead of climbing under a truck every few months...
I would love to see one of your reports to compare with mine that has 5 years 40,000 miles of service.
You must be registered for see images

Javier

swuchase1

Reaction score
I would love to see one of your reports to compare with mine that has 5 years 40,000 miles of service.
You must be registered for see images

Javier

Dude please tell us what you use and let it stand on its own merit not everyones oil sucks that bad. By the way are you very short sound like little man complex just a bit. lol

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL you funny! I aint short and I know what I am talking about, If you want to save money just open your eyes, the answer to your question is in plain sight! you quoted my oil analysis page and it has all the info you could ever want.
Javier

swuchase1

Reaction score
thats cool please just tell me i see its amsoil but cant read maybe my age but the fine print is to small thanks

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow back to the issue , my uncle was a diesel mechanic for 40odd yrs and all he ever run was regular old rotella t 15w40 and changed his filters every3500 miles and oil change every 7000. and every idi school buss he ever worked on had over 300,000 by the time they decided to rebuild , so all this about synthetics and additives you can keep them ,, i will trust my uncle and the knowledge he has over any market out there ... and besides when you start switching from what the motor was broken in with or run on most of its life is when you start askin for trouble ,,.... there is my 2 cents take it as you want ....

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change it every 3-5k with the cheapest brand that is diesel rated and any filter but fram and everything else will fall apart around the engine. I have yet to have an oil related failure with this method with any engine.

I'm gonna change mine yearly, Which will be 4-5k. Using Castrol Tection that I got on sale and a purolator filter.

Awesome, That's the exact same thing that I do.

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
;Sweetyou can get the oil at auto zone and the auto rz has to be ordered directly from the maker just google "auto rx" and go to their web site only way to get it but well worth it;Sweet

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and besides when you start switching from what the motor was broken in with or run on most of its life is when you start askin for trouble ,,.... there is my 2 cents take it as you want ....

No offense but it's a hunk of metal. It's not gonna get used to anything. You know how many times that oil you use has changed formulations?

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense but it's a hunk of metal. It's not gonna get used to anything. You know how many times that oil you use has changed formulations?

may have changed formulations ,, but still they same type .. and yes its a hunk of metal but if you understand the make and composition of metal you would know that all metal is porous ( you know little holes ) .. i may not be the smartest guy in the world but i do know this ,,, so plz dont quote me and try to make me look like an ass

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may have changed formulations ,, but still they same type .. and yes its a hunk of metal but if you understand the make and composition of metal you would know that all metal is porous ( you know little holes ) .. i may not be the smartest guy in the world but i do know this ,,, so plz dont quote me and try to make me look like an ass

Sorry I wasn't trying to come off like that.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and every idi school buss he ever worked on had over 300,000 by the time they decided to rebuild

300,000 divided by 7000=42 oil changes
300,000 divided by 3500=85 filter changes
at 300,000 somebody decided them engines were wore out rags time for a rebop, all those pricey oil/filter changes did NOT keep those engines like new, they died! you know the Mechanic needs work too!
LOL thanks for that valuble information! that was great!

Javier

Status
Not open for further replies.