whats the best oil to run in my 1988 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

swuchase1

Reaction score
What is the best tpye and wieght motor oil to run in my truck just looking to see what everyone thinks is best and why?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running DELO 400 LE 15w-40
It's the far less desirable Low Emission formula and I can't find any of the CI rated oils on the shelf here.
I haven't had any problems with it and I don't expect to, I just wish I could find the older additive package.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oem engine with lots of miles?
tough choice with so many products and so many opinions.
I would say the best oil is filtered to capture soot wich will
extend any Lubricants service life.
this is where most people fail to focus on, Filtration of air/oil
Javier

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI's are on a diet of Motorcraft 15-40. Its cheap and that is what Ford uses.:D
I dont see Ford selling IDI's anymore and they are not doing so hot with the 6.0s and 6.4s after 1billion dollar lawsuit.

The fact that Ford sells Motorcraft and dealers purchase unknown lubricants in bulk does not make it the best. After all Ford has nothing to do with manufacturing oil so your post means really, not much.
Javier

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used the House Brand Petro Canada 15w-40 in my truck from the local Great Canadian Oil Change(I used to work there, the only shop I trust doing the oil change or I do it myself.) I run 2 bottles of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the Larger Powerstroke filter.
I also have them run about 4 liters of oil through my motor after its done draining before they put the plug in to flush out anything that didn't come out with the oil. I highly doubt that it makes a difference but it makes me feel better. I have been told that Chevron Delo and Shell Rotella are among the best non Syntetic motor oil for diesels.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use something diesel rated Rotella, Delo, who cares, best is straight 30 weight if your climate allows it (mine does not) and CHANGE that oil often. Frequent change is more important than what is in there.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use something diesel rated Rotella, Delo, who cares, best is straight 30 weight if your climate allows it (mine does not) and CHANGE that oil often. Frequent change is more important than what is in there.

What is considered a "frequent change"?

The IDI owners manual recommends 3-5k.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I make sure to do mine every 4-5000km (2500-3100miles) It works out to about every 3 or 4 months. I also do a fuel filter every other oil change.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I always use Rotella 15-40 And a FL-1995 (psd) oilfilter, my engine holds together at 4000+ rpm

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed I like Rotella 15-40 available cheap (sort of) at Walmart (now $25 for a 2.5 gallon jug) and the oversize powerstroke filter about $10-12 at Walmart also, and 3000 mi is a good number. i idle my engine a lot and I think I am going to put on an hour meter and do my oil change by running time, around 100 hours.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the sheep are headed to the cliff, well so many sheep cant be wrong :dunno

lots of worthless feel good, no facts information going on in here :rolleyes:
Javier

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Javier

What oil we use, is just a personal preference. We could have a 20 page thread and still not have the perfect answer.
I dont think there is any oil out there that is good for our engines, since they started putting in all these new additives.
I have read alot of bad points with running the cj-4 crap in our engines but this is all we can get anymore, at least where I live.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Javier

w\What are you trying to say? You don't agree with the oil change interval? Or you use cheap oil? Or overpriced oil? Or you just don't know?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Dello, Rotella, probably Motorcraft, make sure it is diesel rated, I used some cheap oil in my Peugeot for a spell and the rear main seal dried out, went back to Rotella and 2 oil changes later the leak was gone, no more cheap crap for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online