Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are soo rude! :Whatever:
watch out the feelings police are here :rotflmao

Javier

Yeah I'm in no mood tonight to argue with him about it. I'll just continue to do things the way I've always done them and leave it at that.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm convinced most people under estimate the ability of today's dino oils. Oil analysis will show this to be true. They have got us so sold on the change every 3000 miles but most oil will easily go double that.

You can run what ever brand you choose. Delo, Rotella, Delvac and Motorcraft are all good oils.

If you want the most out of your oil have it analyzed.

If you want to learn more about oils and filter check this place out. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
Lots of good info and helpful people!

BTW my current fill is Motorcraft CI-4 15w40 and a Motorcraft FL1995 filter. Before that its been Rotella since I bought the truck a couple years ago. I may switch back next oil change depending on how I feel at the time LOL

philadelphia

Reaction score
idiabuse what are you, a wayward from pirate 4x4..lol

anyways. i use rotella and a cheap hastings filter because i get them for free..not gonna have my oil analyzed and I change my oil at 4k..If my truck didnt need 17 qts with the psd filter id change it more often

i have 6 trucks wich get beat to death at work..One smokes like hell at startup but its a city driven truck by an abusive leadfoot, has 410k on it and probally got an oilchange every 10k for the last five years.Cheap bulk oil and a hastings filter.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the larger filter only holds more oil thats it. If you want to catch MORE deposits you need to find a filter that catches smaller deposits, then you are getting places...
Javier

Wrong, THe PSD filter was re designed with a finer element specification due to the high pressure oil pump fuel injection system on those beasts. You've got oil going through very small passages at around 10,000 psi and the system requires a level of cleanliness a step above that which was speced for the IDI engines.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I run Amsoil 15w-40 diesel and Marine in mine.( to be up front I sell the stuff and I've been using and selling it for over 25 years ) For a mechanically sound engine , it's about the best choice. Even though it's a 15w-40, you can run it year round. since it's a synthetic the pour point is low enough that you are going to need the block heater to start before you get down to where the oil starts to thicken up.
There are a few other good synthetics out there as well, although I wouldn't list Castrol in with them. I did some testing with the syntec in a freshly rebuilt chevy 350and was rather unimpressed. It would do quite well for about 3000 miles , then it would start burning off at an alarming rate. I understand if you manage to find a dealer that is selling the bottles that are marked "made in Germany" you will get a real synthetic oil instead of a hydrocracked dino oil, but that is a crap shoot. I've noticed that the stores that have it one time will have the regular stuff in the next batch.
For older engines that eat a bit too much oil to be forking over for the high dollar stuff, Delo is definitely the best bet

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong, THe PSD filter was re designed with a finer element specification due to the high pressure oil pump fuel injection system on those beasts. You've got oil going through very small passages at around 10,000 psi and the system requires a level of cleanliness a step above that which was speced for the IDI engines.
I dont doubt you, but I did post up the information back a few pages
The right oil filters for Ford diesel engines
Designed for Ford Power Stroke® Diesel applications
7.3L diesel engine oil filters are up to 98% efficient at 18 microns or larger and feature anti-drain back valves to help prevent dry starts
6.0L and 6.4L diesel engine oil filters are up to 95% efficient at 20 microns or larger and feature top-loaded, dripless cartridge elements
Recommended by Ford Motor Company
Using the OEM oil/filter in a PSD still causes the romp romps in the morning.
using the oil you fancy eliminates the romps in the morning.

Javier

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for some unknown reason, anytime someone asks about oil preference and oil filter choices, it's a sure bet that a brawl will break out. it's just like debating politics. dunno why. after seven pages, this thread is done.

"IDIABUSE".......this is for you.
i know you have been contacted by a mod already, so I am not going to rehash what has already been said. But please do keep in mind the mods/admin/site owner here don't wear badges. We're just like everyone else here. Our opinions is judged as yours is. But when a problem flares up, I can guarantee you, we'll be here to take care of the problem. If you do spot a problem and you feel we haven't gotten to it in time, hit the "notify moderator" button at the bottom of every post. It's the red triangle with the exclamation point in the centre and we'll get a email on your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online