What I Regret Not Doing Since Day One...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought it new...I regret not taking a pump-up style bug sprayer, filling it with kerosene or WD40 and misting the entire underside several times a year.
I bet that would STOP the rusting and corrosion dead in it's tracks > or seriously lessen it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
When I saw your title, I guessed what it was,....I agree, it needs to be done and does make a difference in the rust belt. It is a messy job but worth it!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have thought about taking a couple gallons of WVO and spraying on the underside of the truck. A lot less flammable than kerosene or WD40. i dunno though.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
i have thought about taking a couple gallons of WVO and spraying on the underside of the truck. A lot less flammable than kerosene or WD40. i dunno though.

I can see every neighborhood animal licking the underside of your truck. LOL

Anyone else ever used that stuff that converts rust to primer?

Yes, you have to scrape off all the loose rust though and then apply it. It works in the sense that the remaining rust turns black. Every time I have used it though I sold the vehicle before I had a chance to see how it held up long term. I usually put that stuff on and then top it off with rubberized undercoating.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Im going to clean mine up really good and give it a good black paint job underneath, would that be good enough?

Anyone else ever used that stuff that converts rust to primer?

what you are thinking of is called "ospho" and yes that is spelled right. it chemically converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate. if you have heavy rust deposits then you will want to scrape them down pretty good first with some type of scraping tool (i used a putty knife and hammer to clean up the rust caused by a previous owners poor battery mounting) then knock off the loose rust dust with a wire brush or compressed air. you dont have to get it perfect, but the thinner the rust layer, the better it will work and longer it will last. you will likely want to apply it 2 to 3 times. its main ingredient is phosphoric acid (relatively weak but still uncomfortable on skin)so you will want to be careful when applying. it is water thin so i am sure it will work just fine in a pump type sprayer, but you will want to wear safty goggles to avoid getting it in your eyes if a gust of wind decides to try to ruin your day. it might also damage paint if not removed quickly. and definately give the applicable area a good cleaning first with a pressure washer then a brush and a final rinse with the pressure washer so that you see the best possible results. when you apply it, you will have to let it sit over night for the chemical reaction to take place. once you have applied the ospho as many times as you want, you have to primer then paint it or you are just ******* in the wind cause the iron phosphate will allow water to attack the metal under it if not painted.

hope that helps and good luck
David

EDIT: i should also mention that there are other brands of the same basic product, but i have found that OSPHO has worked best for me.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
all machine manufacturers will tell you NEVER use WD40 on their stuff because it prompts rust - so just be aware.... I would use some other light weight oil... if I were going to do it.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD-40 is a water displacement product that will turn into a gummy substance when it dries. for that reason you can use it to free something up that is sticking but then you will want to purge it with something like brake cleaner and apply an actual lubricant. and for the use you suggested, it would basically be useless because it doesnt stick to surfaces very well

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I mix old motor oil (diesel oil soaks into metal like a sponge...weird) ATF, gear oil,kerosene, and any other oil I have in the garage and coat the inner fenders, frame, undercarrige, and anything else I can reach on the scout. Also I know the prone rot areas, and where crud and mud hide, I have numerous drain and acess holes drilled to get those hard to reach areas. Yes it stinks like hell, and makes a mess, but it slows any current rust down and drastically prohibits new rust from forming. When my friend bought my '74 it had holes for oil drilled and every seam was wet with oil. The only way to help save our vehicles from the abominal saltmonster!!!

-Jon

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
related question

if you bought a truck from the southwest, that literally had NO rust, and planned to drive it year-round in New England, what would be the best undercoating to spray on?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Liberal amounts of oil. I've seen professional "anti rust" coatings done on clean trucks, 2 or 3 good salt storms and it burns the **** off like acid. Especially that brine garbage, finds its way into every seam, crack, and unpainted area and reactivates everytime it gets wet. It makes a mess of everything in no time. The worst part of some undercoatings is the rust will get behind it, rot everything, and you don't notice untill it falls apart. Id just wash it often and reoil it with the fluids you drain out of the truck. Could ya tell the EPA and I would get along well?:rotflmao

-Jon