What I Regret Not Doing Since Day One...

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know i do have about 20 gallons of used diesel motor oil that i don't want to burn because it's been left open in the rain. this might a great use for it. i bet it dies the whole underside of the truck black as heck. come to think of it i do have a paint sprayer i could yuse. . .yeah this is all lining up nicely. . .lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy in Rhode Island from whom Matthias bought the Night Moose coated the underside of that truck with ATF every fall, and swears by this method. He said he put it in a paint gun and just hit everything with it. He made a believer out of me. When we took the truck apart, there was a huge difference between the spots he missed and the rest of the chassis. Also, the cab had no rust. I found this incomprehensible for a 14 year old truck within a few miles of the Atlantic Ocean in the cold northeast.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My old man told me about a guy up here that bought a nice old car from down south 23 years ago. He took the car, sprayed it with a mixture of grease and motor oil (boiled it up to mix the two together) and sprayed it on with a homemade air sprayer.

Then he took the car down the dustiest dirt road he could find and drove the hell out of it. The dust sticks to the greasy mess and makes a tough barrier that the water can't get in. The car has since been sold, but the current owner STILL has a rust free 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
From all my leaks i already have rust protection!! Funny story my friend and I were welding some hooks on the bed so I could tie down stuff and while he was welding all that grease was smoldering under there. Man his garage was so thick with smoke you could hardly see your hand out infront of you

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Good topic. I have to decide how to treat the cab on my '57 soon. It managed to stay so clean mainly because it lived in the dry high desert most of it's life- before any small town could afford to salt the roads.

I have a few gallons of used oil, but that sure seems like a stinky thing to do to a new paint job! (I have painted the bottom and the frame.)

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend WVO, it tends polymerize and collect dust and gum up really bad. And yeah, animals might be somewhat attracted to it. You don't want squirrels chewing through your wires!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the Ospho. Also when you do use it you want to make sure and remove any white oxidized areas (from the ospho) before recoating with either another coat or a primer. I do not recommend painting right over it. It says you can do so but my results were not favorable when I tried. (new metal blasted to a #2 finish that flash rusted lightly before being primed)

I am in the middle of painting my hay rake (new holland model 56) and it was quite effective in encapsulating the metal and providing a good base for the primer. I was careful to sand off all of the white residue before spraying the primer and I'm pleased that there don't appear to be any loose areas.

Many people like the POR product line for rust prevention. I haven't tried it myself but would if I didn't have so much Ospho already on hand.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all machine manufacturers will tell you NEVER use WD40 on their stuff because it prompts rust - so just be aware.... I would use some other light weight oil... if I were going to do it.
Hmmmm, well all I can say is, I've been spraying the chrome Moon wheels and round covers on my boat trailer during the off season for 12 years now > zero rust/pitting!
And when I apply it, I'll spray on 2-3 coats (over a few days)and yes it does coat the surface that does not wipe off very easily!

1994IDI

Reaction score
I have had good luck with aerosol rubberized undercoating from the parts stores. It won't reverse any existing rust, but it has been a very good preventitive method in the past. I have coated the underside of 3 trucks in the last 6 or 8 years, and seen good results so far.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I use This Stuff on just about every car ive ever done body work on, its on my chevelle on the inner fenders and under side and its on the Bel-Air on the under side this stuff is amazing. That or we have even taken a bedliner and sprayed the underside of the bel air so it wont chip and its color matched to the car ;Really

btw here is a picture of the Bel-Air http://www.good-guys.com/events/eventPhotosDetail.aspx?eventID=09-625&photoID=3612_WCN09.jpg

its not a very good picture cause the Goodguys Photographers kinda suck but what can ya do?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old Grand Wagoneer covered with oil underneath and the engine too. She caught fire on the highway, 3 alarm blaze, ********* mushroom cloud stopped 6 lanes of traffic, 3 same-side travel lanes + 3 opposite side rubberneckers. Something to consider...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Drop a detroit in there that'll take care of the oiling for you. They aint called road oilers for nothin!

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy in Rhode Island from whom Matthias bought the Night Moose coated the underside of that truck with ATF every fall, and swears by this method. He said he put it in a paint gun and just hit everything with it. He made a believer out of me. When we took the truck apart, there was a huge difference between the spots he missed and the rest of the chassis. Also, the cab had no rust. I found this incomprehensible for a 14 year old truck within a few miles of the Atlantic Ocean in the cold northeast.

Some old timers here in Northern N.E. use chainsaw bar & chain oil once or twice a year (or two) to spray undercoat the body, frame, and undercarriage; a friend of mine warms the oil to dissolve a pound of parrafin in each gallon of oil to thicken it- it's not exactly a 'neat & clean' process, but I've never seen a spot of rust on his vehicles.