Well... Holley Blue left me stranded today!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not very happy about this. I have maybe 5000 miles on this truck with that pump and it already crapped out on me. I mean it don't do squat, no run at all. I tried jumping it straight from the battery and it still didn't do anything, so its done. Holley wont warranty it, they said my truck didn't originally come with an electric pump which means my truck is highly modified and doesnt qualify for the warranty. I have half a notion to buy an AirDog Raptor with the built in fuel regulator and be done with all the holley stuff on my truck. Is anyone here running an AirDog, how do you like it? I know I wasn't happy about how my Holley wouldn't pump for a crap during the winter, with straight #2! I figure the AirDog pump has to do better since it's designed specifically for diesel. I can't find anyone in town who carries even the Holley pump at this time, so my truck is sitting off the side of the road a mile north of town.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I always ran the cheapie masterpump from Advanced Auto for $35 on the Enterprise and never had it fail. It output like 7psi and always kept her fed. No it wasn't some big name brand but worked just fine. Used metric fittings but rubber hose clamps down just fine on it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I might go get me one of those. Something cheap until I make Holley replace my Blue. Heck I might not even put the blue back on if the cheapie works just fine. But this is ridiculous they wont stand behind their stuff. I've got a notion to sell all the holley carbs on my cars and go to Demon or something else just because of how snotty Holley is being.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I've had good luck so far (knock on wood) with the carrier pump that I got from GenLightning... It is mounted in the engine compartment and it pulls fuel all the way from the tank, and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble...

Black dawg

Reaction score
the only problem Ive had with a mech pump is an external oil leak at the gasket. In 15 years of wrenching Ive replaced less than 10 mech fuel pumps, only one was for a fuel starve issue, the rest leaked fuel. I dont even have a guess as to how many electric fuel pumps Ive done.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want no more worries, either a Napa diesel specific pump or the facet duralift pump from thermo king is the way to go. I couldn't wait to do a group buy so I paid the high price of $164 for a new thermo king refer pump. No worries or complaints about it so far. It only delivers around 30GPH at 8.5-9 psi though. I think you have a pressure regulator. I wonder what it would deliver at 7 psi.... more? Less? Not really sure.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD, the Carrier pump delivers "only" 30 GPH? Well how much do you thing the factory mechanical pump moves? ;) Even if you're getting 10mpg moving at 60 mph that means you're burning just 6 gallons per hour, which is not even a quarter of what you Carrier pump moves through the system...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD, the Carrier pump delivers "only" 30 GPH? Well how much do you thing the factory mechanical pump moves? ;) Even if you're getting 10mpg moving at 60 mph that means you're burning just 6 gallons per hour, which is not even a quarter of what you Carrier pump moves through the system...

Don't forget the vast amount of cooling/lubing fuel that the return system cycles through the injector pump.

I would bet a safe educated guess is that for every gallon of fuel actually burned, between ten and fifteen gallons will cycle through the returns.

As for the Holleys, in my opinion and experience (I have a Carter on two trucks and dozens of Holleys, Reds, Blues, Blacks, and a Silver one), the Carter is by far a superior pump.

One reason being that the Holley is meant to be mounted motor UP and fuel-pump below; whereas, the Carter is mounted motor DOWN.

The fuel actually passes within the motor housing of the Carter, thus cooling it tremendously.

One thing that will kill ANY vane-type electric pump is not being protected by a strainer of some sort.

What happens is a big slug of "algae" comes into the pump and wedges within the eccentric; the driver does not immediately know this; and, being locked up, the motor soon burns out.

Being so disturbed, the "algae" breaks up and dissolves, thus losing the evidence to the homocide. ;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thats what I love about those Facet Duralift pumps. nice big water/trash seperater bowl with a fine filter screen, no worries about tearing up the pump ;Sweet, plus you can easily see what's going on with your fuel. Saves a ton of guesswork, of course, that's what you get with a commercial grade diesel pump

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Thats what I love about those Facet Duralift pumps. nice big water/trash seperater bowl with a fine filter screen, no worries about tearing up the pump ;Sweet, plus you can easily see what's going on with your fuel. Saves a ton of guesswork, of course, that's what you get with a commercial grade diesel pump

Uuuuh Huuuuh.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean, did you do a post mortum on the pump? Does it ohm out? Did you take the bottom end apart to see if it was just jammed by some debrise? If none of that checks out, just try rotating the shaft. It's possible that a commutation failed due to carbon/stuck brush or some other freak thing. Granted, if that were true I wouldn't trust it, but it would be nice to know. It's possible a whack with a hammer might have got it going again. We need to know how it failed.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mel, I'd be curious to know WHY it failed. I had a Holley Red that failed it would still run, but just wouldn't move any fuel. It was better than the el cheapo Mr. Gasket pumps. Like Travis the old cheap universal gas/diesel pumps, I guess these were also Facet brand, I had pretty good luck with. Just a little thing and lasted a lot of months and tanks of fuel with severe abuse. I agree with RL, the Carrier duralft is just a superior design. Being able to see what is being ushed through that pump and screening it yet again is very worthwhile, and cleaning it really isn't very messy with the way my custom fuel system is designed.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had to put a low pressure electric pump in the ranger to complete the diesel swap, I went out and bought a generic "farm" pump from the canadian retailer "princess auto". Its undoubtably mass produced off shore and marketed under many different brands all over the world. Physically it looked identical to the original and never gave any problems. I don't remember the GPH ratings though so it might not be able to feed enough fuel for a 6.9.

Never mind, turns out it is a 30 GPH pump anyway:

12V inline pump

I suspect american retailers could supply them at a lower price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726