1989 ZF542 on 7.3 Clutch Interlock

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Attached is a extract of the interlock from the Ford service manual for 1989, all E and F series.
It shows two clips, one orientation and one plastic retainer, that hold the switch in place.
New clutch masters don't come with a clip or retainer, nor do new switches.
The new master does come with a pad that goes on the inside of the master that isn't shown.
I'm pretty certain the switch is a press fit onto the push rod.
That would mean the switch body travels with the push rod in each direction, hitting either a rubber stop, or the cushion, stopping the body and allowing the switch to continue to travel to either the front or rear of the body to make or break the contacts.
The donor truck was severely rusted and none of the interlock components could be salvaged.
This is my first rodeo with this series, and I'm hoping to find confirmation.
I haven't ordered the switch yet, so this is all just hypothesis.
Thanks

Attachments

• Interlock.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 5

divemaster5734

Reaction score
In truth I could just leave the bypass jumper in the connector that's buried above the steering column they used for the E4OD's, which I'm getting rid of.
Kept the interior harness, but have the ZF5 tranny harness and the manual PCU.
I haven't driven a stick in years, and am mostly concerned about a brain fart in a parking lot.
Sometimes a couple inches is all it would take to reach out and touch someone, or worse, breaking the starter armature in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online