Traveller Smurf (Cubey's '89 van)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Mine usually runs right on the bottom edge of the 190 mark in my truck. You don't have anything to worry about.

I did remove the radiator cap this evening (totally cool) and it didn't push out any coolant, so it was low. I topped off directly into the radiator. The overflow isn't overly full, so it should be fine. I know for a fact it was a bit low from it leaking from the old water pump and some going to a small waste bottle during the water pump replacement. A little went on the ground too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Front shocks done today. What's with right sides always being totally shot? Left is noisy when releasing but it does at least. Right side is compressed and stays.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank goodness for that cut out. I don't think it can be done without it. It has an unknown line with a hose on it, running right against the bushing/washer/nut that had to be pushed away with a 3/4" open end wrench to put on the bushing and washer.

The right side was difficult too. The lower metal bushing was poking out into the mounting bracket. It looks a bit trashed too so I dug out some washers. It must a longer replacement bolt because on the left side, I added washers and it's almost too short.

Oh and the new shocks came totally uncompressed so I had to rig a lashing strap around them to compress them to install them.

Rears will be another day and shouldn't be as bad.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine usually runs right on the bottom edge of the 190 mark in my truck. You don't have anything to worry about.
Same here. I have two aftermarket coolant temp gauges, because one was cheap and part of a 3-gauge set, then got a nicer one later for my pillar pod and kept them both. LOL One in each head! 190* is right on for a fully warmed up IDI in my experience.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Same here. I have two aftermarket coolant temp gauges, because one was cheap and part of a 3-gauge set, then got a nicer one later for my pillar pod and kept them both. LOL One in each head! 190* is right on for a fully warmed up IDI in my experience.

Hm, well the RV ran cooler for some reason for sure. 180-185ish at slower speeds when fully warmed up.

My f250 with wore out everything sits closer to 200f, something to do with this thermostat

The RV ran 200ish until it got a new Motorcraft fan clutch and thermostat. Instantly 15-20 cooler. I could tell the fan clutch was tired though. It wasn't too much more to do the thermostat at the same time.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
The RV ran 200ish until it got a new Motorcraft fan clutch and thermostat. Instantly 15-20 cooler. I could tell the fan clutch was tired though. It wasn't too much more to do the thermostat at the same time.
fan clutch and thermostat are both motorcraft but theyre like OE aged. Ive been too paranoid about moving the thermostat housing and having it leak (again) to change the thermostat from the temporary i threw in. But i also know my original radiator is like a 3rd plugged up and needs to be addressed, this old truck is never ending.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's good to hear, because that's what mine runs.
Remember, I've seen it said on here that the fuel doesn't even atomize properly until the engine's around 180*. That means that 190* is nothing. Barely over minimum efficient temperature.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, I've seen it said on here that the fuel doesn't even atomize properly until the engine's around 180*. That means that 190* is nothing. Barely over minimum efficient temperature.
So then what is the maximum efficient temperature?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Probably up around overheating. People say that these engines can be run at 230* for a while without any bad effects.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably up around overheating. People say that these engines can be run at 230* for a while without any bad effects.
I don't disagree in principle, but I can say for sure that my power goes down when I'm flirting with 220*+. Especially 230*. I don't know why exactly, I'd like to know for sure.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

The RV got to 240 once because I was on a fairly steep gravel road in 80-85 degrees and forgot to turn off AC. I noticed it just before it hit 240 so I pulled over, put heater on full blast and open the hood. No damage done that I could tell. 240 is considered "stop now!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.