TRAGEDY STRIKES. = NEED ANOTHER ANTIQUE F250 SUPER-CAB TRUCK

CaptBuffalo

Reaction score
as for the zf-5 swap, im in the middle of one (i have the trans, saving money for parts and shop bills) and from what I have read this is the clutch and flywheel you'll need to buy in order to avoid using a dual mass flywheel:
LuK 07-131 Clutch Set
LuK LFW127 Flywheel

and for the floor pan, i have heard that you can just beat on the t-19 pan to make it fit the hump of the zf5, as opposed to getting the zf5 pan. but if you can get the pan anyways, i'd do that

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CaptBuffalo,

Thanks for the information. = Presuming that the administrator of the estate & I can come to a price, that benefits us both, I shall be looking for a suitable ZF & other parts.

yours, satx

CaptBuffalo

Reaction score
Another thing to think about is if you aren't doing the swap yourself, is finding a shop that'll do it. For some reason none of the shops that I've talked to so far have even heard of people going from a t19 to a zf5; odd considering how common it seems to be. One guy even went on a rant about how there's no such thing as free info and not to trust anything you read here.. so, he isn't getting my money lol

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CaptBuffalo,

As the saying is, "When it rains, it pours" seems appropriate here. = I've now found a 1989 XLT Lariat with ZF & 131,000 miles about an hour SE of Houston.

Passing strange, eh??

yours, satx

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on ZF truck, also depends on condition and prices. Would be nice to have a truck that you don't have to put in the shop and wait for a swap, you can just run it!

CaptBuffalo

Reaction score
CaptBuffalo, et. al.,

Now what do I do?? = I wonder WHICH diesel PU is better for my purposes??

yours, satx

If the choice is between a 7th gen and an 8th (bull or brick nose) I pesonally would pick the bull. But imo it is more about style preference now. (Not including price, milage, colors, etc)

Last edited:

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat; Thewespaul; CaptBuffalo,

The trucks are about the same price. The 1989 is missing the tailgate & needs a brake vacuum pump.

The 1984 has about half the miles & is in FINE shape as is BUT then I'd have to have the ZF installed.
(That's presuming that I can FIND a suitable ZF & the other parts from a wreck. = NOT an easy task in South Texas.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim-
he's not a mechanic. Keep it uncomplicated.
you too will find out when you move out of the area, ******** like me are not easy to find. Tom can't find anyone competent to do his ZF5 conversion in MO.
satx-
a hydro is a power steering brake booster stolen from a F450 of 88-94 vintage and dropped in where a vac booster system was at. see below for pic.

Attachments

• hydroboost.jpg
    hydroboost.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 47

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat; All,

Towcat: 1st, you are definitely NOT any sort of ALPHA HOTEL. - Just a good/helpful/NICE guy, who can actually UN-complicate technical issues for neophytes like me.
(I can do my own routine/simple maintenance on an IDI truck but that's all that I know how to do. = SIMPLICITY is the MAIN reason that I prefer the IDI trucks)

THANKS for the explanation.

Btw, I've found an independent diesel mechanic (who comes well-recommended by other local owners), who was once a Master Instructor at one of the TSTI. - He's now retired & only does work that he wants to do for extra pocket $$$.

In South Texas, the real problem in getting a transmission exchange to a ZF is FINDING a suitable (or even repairable) diesel ZF & the necessary conversion parts.
(I'm told that the cause of the "critical shortage" of ZF transmissions is that the transmissions GET EXPORTED to Mexico/Latin America, as diesel fuel is about HALF or less of typical US retail prices there. = I paid as little as 50 cents a gallon for petro diesel in South America, when I was stationed there years ago. - At that time pump diesel in the USA was about 1.50 per gallon..)

yours, satx

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To All,

"The IN thing" in Bexar County & the surrounding counties seems to be STEALING pickup tailgates. = A friend, who is a BCSO Deputy, says that 2-4 are stolen each day!!!
(Lonnie G__________ says that more tailgates are stolen than wheels. hubcaps & tires here.)

yours, satx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online