Started my DT360 swap yesterday

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
it was so nice of your friend to get better lights in his shop so you could take pic and let your old eyes see better haha.

i didnt see where you told them the best part. the time frame we have to get it finished by and the miles to put on it right after.

can anyone guess?

Oh. DO tell.

Sounds like a motivation deadline... I get 90% of my work done that way!

Deib

Reaction score
Do I need a lift pump for this engine, or does the Bosch inline injection pump have its own internal lift pump???
You do not need a lift pump, it pulls it's own fuel from the tank unless the pump is worn out.
adding an electric pump makes priming and changing fuel filters awful nice though.

For my planned remote mount oil cooler, I have two late 80's 460 parts trucks with plate type oil coolers. Anybody forsee any issues with differences in flow or pressure between the two engines that would make one of these coolers a bad idea?? Might even run both of them in parrallel.
One oil cooler from a 460 will not be enough. Two in parallel is probably the minimum.

The power steering pump on this engine is what appears to be a gear pump. While it is small, whats the odds that it puts out more pressure of flow than my light duty steering box can handle??

The stock box can handle it just fine unless it was just plain worn out anyway. It should be the same pressure. Flow is more but doesn't matter because it just bypasses the extra.

Going to run hydroboost brakes?

Skip the coolant filter. Just test the nitrate levels a couple times a year with the little test strips. I have plenty of additive if you need it.
Using a pre charged antifreeze is the easiest way to take care of it.

Cut the cab up. I think that is great. You have the back seat for passengers. Give yourself room to work.

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a plunger style lift pump (similar to a Cummins) with a built in hand pump for priming the fuel system. You running the stock IP? All of them that I have seen have the Bosch MW pump, although there are supposedly some out there with a A pump - I think it was a California only emissions thing. There's also a kit to adapt a Cummins P pump for about $400. If it is a MW pump, all you need is a fuel line back to the tank.

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deib- thanks for the info. I might be going to a good sized automotive swap meet this weekend depending on the weather. If I go, I will look for a nice big oil cooler.
Will be running hydroboost. Got one from supposedly a chevy truck.

Bike maker-I have the oddball "A" pump, although I kind of suspect it might not be original to that bus/engine. Guess it does not really matter. Had it fully rebuilt.

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The A pump was all that was available from '87-90. But, after '91, California models had the MW pump. The A pump is the most common pump on the DT360's.

Heath

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
?
All I can say is; mine looks identical to all the other ones hanging off of DT360's I've seen on the internet
It has a Bosch tag with serial # on it, but no mention of MW or A.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your IP looks like the one below, it is an MW.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

If your IP looks this........ it's an A pump.

Heath

Last edited:

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant get a picture till at least saturday night, but mine is kind of a combination of those pictures. The rear of mine(govenor?) Looks like that MW, but the front looks like the A pump pictures show, except my manual primer is on the right hand side, looking at it from the front.

From what I am told, if the fifth digit in the serial number is an A, then its an A pump

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heres a shot of my "A" pump.

Heres a shot of the aftermarket slave cylinder for the clutch and the mounting bracket I made for it. Cute little ******, but we will see how it hold up to pushing on a 14 inch clutch.

Doesnt seem like I got a lot done this weekend. Found a couple of thinga at the swap meet, but not a nice big cooler for engine oil like I had hoped for. Got the cab back on. mounted up the hydroboost unit. Built an adapter to put an aftermarket 3/4 inch bore clutch master cylinder- still need to finish up a pushrod for it, and the braided line didnt quite reach either. Spent some considerable time kicking around different idea of how/where to mount the Holset HX35 turbo. finally noticed right before I went to work this afternoon that the exhaust manifold can be unbolted and flipped upside down perfectly- that should really make things easier I believe.

Last edited:

Deib

Reaction score
Dude, we need more pics.
Is that spicer a synchronized trans? Is there enough throw in that slave cylinder? Dang, That just makes me nervous. I have visions of you starting out in first gear and driving home with no clutch. I am sure it will be fine. You know what you are doing.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Heres a shot of my "A" pump.

Heres a shot of the aftermarket slave cylinder for the clutch and the mounting bracket I made for it. Cute little ******, but we will see how it hold up to pushing on a 14 inch clutch.

Doesnt seem like I got a lot done this weekend. Found a couple of thinga at the swap meet, but not a nice big cooler for engine oil like I had hoped for. Got the cab back on. mounted up the hydroboost unit. Built an adapter to put an aftermarket 3/4 inch bore clutch master cylinder- still need to finish up a pushrod for it, and the braided line didnt quite reach either. Spent some considerable time kicking around different idea of how/where to mount the Holset HX35 turbo. finally noticed right before I went to work this afternoon that the exhaust manifold can be unbolted and flipped upside down perfectly- that should really make things easier I believe.

Yup, that's a Bosch A pump. Where did you get that slave cylinder? Gonna need one down the road for my DT. Gotta link?

Heath

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slave cylinder came from sperdway motors. I dont know how to transfer a link on this smartphone. Part #91025605. 7/8 bore, and 1.2 inches of throw. Meant for 11 or 12 inch clutches, so I have no idea how well its going to work for my application

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have seen some oil coolers on diesel pusher motorhomes that are inline on the lower rad hose. They are about 16" long and have hose's up to the engine. this could work for you. I don't have any part numbers but I know you might see one in the scrap yard or you could look on a bus parts site.