Spun wheel stud, help!!!

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got this problem with one of the studs on my left front wheel, it's so loose that I can spin it by hand and the nut won't come off.

Any idea on how to get it off and do replacement studs have a slightly larger shoulder area that enables it to stick in the now oversized hole... :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:hail

PS, it's a Dana 60...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sound like you are going to need either a ned hub or new rotor. But i think the studs splines go into the hub. No larger diameter studs(spline wise) that i know of

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've got this problem with one of the studs on my left front wheel, it's so loose that I can spin it by hand and the nut won't come off.

Any idea on how to get it off and do replacement studs have a slightly larger shoulder area that enables it to stick in the now oversized hole... :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:hail

PS, it's a Dana 60...

Your probly gonna either have to cut or torch it

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rotate thewheelso that lug is up top or on the bottom.remove the other lugs.now pull out on the loose side of the tire.this will pull the loose stud into the hub.keep pressure on the tire and zip it off with an air gun.lug wrench or breaker bar may work as well if you have someone to pull out on the tire as you turn the bar.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You can hold the tip of the stud w vise grips and use a open end wrench to loosen the nut. When you get it off far enough see if you can use needle nose vise grips to hold the stud behind the nut then use the impact to take the nut off the rest of the way

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've decided to take a cutting wheel and form a slot across the face of the outer end and hold the stud with a big screwdriver while I try to take the lugnut off with an open end wrench...

I've squirted powerblaster all over the thing twice, so this might work... If not then it's grinding time...:popcorn

Ain't going to do that today, we're under a ice storm watch 'till 6 pm Monday... 1/2 inch of ice is forecast... :fan:

Now I've thought about the oversize studs, if there's no such thing, then would it work if I used J-B Weld and tightened it up tight so that the new stud is held straight up where it's supposed to sit?cookoo

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after everything is removed from the trk take the hub and install it back on the wheel. tighten up all the lug nuts to the wheel. install the new lug stud and finger tighten the lug nut on it. weld it to the hub. done.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A tack weld is about the best idea. I had this problem once but its been many years ago. I was replacing studs for some reason. Some nuts were so tight on the stud threads that the stud turned in the housing press fit. I'm not sure but I think the hubs are harder than the studs and you can save the housings. Its been way to many years but I do remember having to cut off the nuts with a grinder... That was a real pain too....

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hubs are harder than the studs and you can save the housings.
Opps! I should have realized that... I should have no trouble at all, then... That is, once I get it off...Thanks...;Sweet

Btw, if anybody is shopping for front end parts in the future, go to carquest, they've got them on hand at a good price...

Autozone, o'reilly's, advance and napa, don't carry them but can get it through special order... Around here anyways...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just tack weld a new stud in the hole in the hub, been there and done that before on my 91.:angel:...Just try to find a used hub for a D60, good luck with that around here hey goofy...:eek::dunno:rotflmao

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goofy?!?

Are you guys calling me goofy, or has someone named goofy been thru the same deal as I have?:backoff

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Goofy's a buddy of mine and a member here...He can vouch for how rare spare D60 parts are to find.;Sweet

Goofy reporting for duty!!!!

If there is a D60 part in our neck of the woods, it's being used by someone, or gaurded with a shotgun and a mean dog. You can expect to pay a premium if you do manage to find something like that here though!!

A set of D50 hubs will work just the same.....but again, good luck!! :rolleyes:

I agree 100% with a little tack weld. Don't burn all the way around the stud though, you will be kicking your own @$$ should it break in the future and need to be replaced......normally I would say ask me how I know, but I don't want to think about that S10 anymore.