Spindle Nut Socket Size?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Go to autozone. Buy ALL the different types and sizes of spindle nut sockets. Tale back ones that don't engage. HD D44, D50, D60 outers are the same. D50 and D60 spindle nuts are the same. You really have to play with the sockets as it seems that the right one won't line up all the way. Once it is lined up it may be a b**** to get broken loose of it hasn't been messed with in awhile. The spindle nut is a 2 piece ratcheting nut. If you have single piston calipers, someone has put chebby outers on it.

Or, grab an old socket that will fit around the outer able shaft and modify it with a grinder until you have 4 teeth in the correct places to engage the nut. Done.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didnt have it either. They actually looked through their special tools book and there are 3 or more sockets that state the same application. They are ordering a new spindle nut though and will 100% verify the actual size.

I wonder...if this NEW spindle nut fitz the spindle??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With @Waystro needing an axle for pass side of a D50 and me having THREE D50's here, and Waystro and I agreed to a price to sell and so forth I took it upon myself to document the removal of parts down to the axle. I include a variety of images with measuring tape for sake of argument and help explain the size differences.

Bear with me as there will be two posts with near 30 images. I hope this helps the OP Jaed with his issue at hand.

Starting with two sockets...I am pointing to the 2 I will use. The other two are for a D35 and 10.25 Sterling....just sayin...got a couple of these specialized units as do many here on this board...do this crap long enough cheaper to own than rent or borrow.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now onto the meat and potatoes..the axle in question is an 88 F250 SC axle I removed when I did my D60 SAS....here I already removed lockout hub external part.

Apparently SIZE matters

With the two clips removed I thread in two lockout hub bolts and slide out complete hub

For good measure...totally pun intended

The correct tool for D 50 ...THIS APPLICATION...

Spindle nut off and i socket

Two magnets make short work of lo king washer

Inner nut to do

And hub off spindle.....all done

More coming

Hope this helps..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now from the point above...here iz the spindle NUT threaded back on spindle and the correct tool for this application pressed on to show how it fits

This next bit is just some helpful info and is @Waystro whom needs an axle...so spindle removal..remove 5 nuts on studs take special tool ...and well follow along.

Now tool on spindle.....

Here I gently whack tool...+...ways..a whack left right and up down...nothing major

I am just looking for movement at hub face...

Insert slide hammer....

One good pull and this was results

Remove axle a d done...clean up tools and put parts away.

Hopefully OP will ma age to remove spindle nut with Home made tool..document it...maybe take HIS spindle nut to parts store and see why a D44 spindle nut socket wont fit.

If he can photo document it in similar fashion we can compare and have new and usefull information for other members whom may struggle with a similar issue.

Al

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if there isn't one already there, this should go it the Tec section, I haven't dealt with the TTB 4x4 front ends much mostly Danna 44 and 60, there all pretty similar. this is definitely helpful.;Sweet

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While tec-worthy, I don't think we should immortalize the prior 9 pages of drama. Maybe Riot could do a 101 thread with the same info. Maybe someone with the clicker style locknut on a D-44 could add that info.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While tec-worthy, I don't think we should immortalize the prior 9 pages of drama. Maybe Riot could do a 101 thread with the same info. Maybe someone with the clicker style locknut on a D-44 could add that info.

That wouldnt be difficult at all however maybe it can wait untill the current issue of the OPs is resolved thus we could have more info...such as its the maybe the lil D50 wich is just a d44 actually...lets resolve this issue so if it comes up again we can more productively provide a solution.

Thats really what I want to see...success of the OP and for him to show us why what he tried didnt fit or work.

Thanks btw

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, that is a really neat tool. I've never seen one before. I usually spit them with the air chisel around the edge of the flange. If you are somewhat careful, it really won't even ding the spindle flange or the surface. Good for those really rusty ones.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, that is a really neat tool. I've never seen one before. I usually spit them with the air chisel around the edge of the flange. If you are somewhat careful, it really won't even ding the spindle flange or the surface. Good for those really rusty ones.

Tool allows a smack further out...no damage to threads...also worst case...one can whilst truck is in air...assuming axle in truck...lift on tool with a jack...release tap down...lift release...tap down...working the spindle free....

But eh..wadda I know...just do what works for u

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that gizmo is a superior solution. I've just never seen one before. May need to add it to my list for Santa.

[emoji6]

I'm a big fan of the right tool for the job. Sometimes it takes knowing what that is and then the ever present being able to afford said tool.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that gizmo is a superior solution. I've just never seen one before. May need to add it to my list for Santa.

[emoji6]

I'm a big fan of the right tool for the job. Sometimes it takes knowing what that is and then the ever present being able to afford said tool.

Bout 20 bucks iirc

Has 9/16 fine thread for slide hammer...has what appears 1/2 fine in deeper for puller shaft...or???

Has threadz for D50/60 spindle...in deeper for 44 spindle a d in deeper guessing 30 n 35 spindles....

Ya tools be a good Christmas wish list...

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
So I have finally started making the right tool. I need some more dremel bits. Its not hard, but getting it perfect will take some time. I also have the measurement pics. The splines on the hub are 48.